Idea

which do u recomend

• daily new members

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • weekly new members

Votes: 3 60.0%

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
well i did understand a bit but im kind of a computer idiot so wahts a php? tks for your help sarge, Mahmoud your idea sounds kool but i use internet explorer so do you know if there is that feature on that?

Last edited:
well i did understand a bit but im kind of a computer idiot so wahts a php? tks for your help sarge,

[SIZE=-1]PHP is a server-side HTML embedded scripting language. It provides web developers with a full suite of tools for building dynamic websites.[/SIZE]

Mahmoud your idea sounds kool but i use internet explorer so do you know if there is that feature on that?

Nah, I doubt you'll find anything on Internet Explorer. Might want to try Opera?

Thats a good reason not to use it, Peter. :tongueout: I have to agree with you, although I didn't try, but I wouldn't be able to read anything like that, I think. :lol:

It always resets to disabled, but I've found it useful when I'm waiting for content to change... Once it changes, I disable the refresh and go on my merry way :smile:

Oh yes, it can be useful. :smile: it can refresh you forum page if you are waiting for a reply any minute for example. :smile:

Well, I'm not usually anyway. I guess it's a choice that would be different depending on the circumstances.

well i could use opera but the problem is it takes forever to start on my computer while internet explorer starts imediatly and i guess it would be a problem if it keeps on refreshing but yahoo mail one second the mail isn't there next second it is

Addendum:

without refresshing the page

Last edited:
No. It takes coding. vB the forum does not have its forum software coded to implement AJAX. Most forums dont. You have to specifically code for it. Even then it still might not work with the Forum software itself.

An extract from the Wikipedia definition of AJAX:

Compared to old fashioned and far less powerful applications, they transfer tremendous amounts of data, and you will never want to use any AJAX based applications if you have to pay for the amount of data transferred between the browser and the web server.

So if CG pays for bandwidth it would be a no-no.

That's exactly the reason, Peter :smile:

Communications between client and server can be one of two ways:
1) Polling
2) Real-time

Polling is the traditional method. Your browser (when you hit refresh) communicates with the server and checks if there is an update. Each time this incurs a heavy resource penalty on the server. AJAX has it set to auto-poll each couple of seconds == really bad idea for most people.

Real-time communication is a new (well, not really, but it's only now beginning to go mainstream) method where the server tells the client "Hey, you, I have a message for you - go check!". But it cannot be implemented in web-browsers because they are built around the concept of polling.

The same for your mail client: every 5-30 minutes it checks with the server to see if a new message is there. If it were done in AJAX, it would be every 5-30 seconds and prohibitively expensive for most. But mail clients can be written in XMPP (real-time protocol) to use the second method and save crazy cash.

Bottom line: hit the refresh button yourself :smile:

what happened

hey cg what happened to the ideas we all had for the forum you know (new members new posts visitors per day blah blah blah)?????

Back