ToolTipFixer: stopped working, but service is running

J-Pro

Good afternoon!

I don't know, why do I face such troubles :smile: Today I've installed some critical Windows update, Acronis Image Server, restarted the machine, created a partition backup and after it finished - I've noticed that tooltips behaves like old good times... Please, look here:

I really don't know what happened, but I see what you see on the screenshot.

I've tried to restart the service - the same behavior.

I use Windows XP x64 and ToolTipFixer.exe file version of 20.08.2008.

I've just saw that Computer Guru released a new version - October 14, 2008. I'll try it and post results here.

Thanks.

Addendum:

Just installed the new version (ToolTipFixer 2.0.0.exe) - the same behavior. I've uninstalled the old one, then installed the new. Tooltips are behind the Taskbar.... :frowning:

Last edited:
Reduce the taskbar down to a single line. It could be that having it as a double line is causing this.

Reduce the taskbar down to a single line. It could be that having it as a double line is causing this.

I'm in doubt about it... After I installed the tool for the first time(a month ago) - everything worked fine, and with two-line taskbar. I tell you more - the tooltip bug was active when I was installing the application. And it fixed it. I thought forever. But now I've faced this problem...

Please, tell me, how can I help you debug it or something? Maybe you can give me special build which writes logs?

P.S.: Just tried one-line taskbar. As I suggested above - the same behavior.

Well i know that Microsoft's fix should work. A restart. That is what they suggest for this issue.

As for debugging that is Mahmoud's area. He will have to get more info from you on this. It sounds like a issue with something else you have isntalled.

Well i know that Microsoft's fix should work. A restart. That is what they suggest for this issue.
Restart never worked for me. I mean it works, but only for few minutes. Then tooltips are behind taskbar again.

As for debugging that is Mahmoud's area. He will have to get more info from you on this.
Waiting patiently! I'll help as much as I can on this issue! Because I'm very interested in this fixer.

It sounds like a issue with something else you have isntalled.
All I've installed since it worked is Acronis True Image Home 11.0. But I doubt it's the source of the problem...

Does TTF start automatically at boot ?
Perhaps MS's swathe of fixes this week has done something to the taskbar to make its "always on top" supersede TTF's.
What happens if you start TTF manually after the rest of the startup has completed ?

Does TTF start automatically at boot ?
As you can see from the screenshot posted in the first post, It DOES start automatically, as service.

Perhaps MS's swathe of fixes this week has done something to the taskbar to make its "always on top" supersede TTF's.
This is one of my suggestions. But I doubt that I'm the only one man who has ToolTipFixer installed and who has the latest MS updates for now...

What happens if you start TTF manually after the rest of the startup has completed ?
As I've wrote in the first post - I tried to manually stop TTF service and then start it again. Nothing happens. Tooltips are always behind the taskbar.

No you are not the only one with the latest updates and TTF. I am also in that boat myself. But i am not experiencing this issue. o.0

Change it from SYSTEM to Local Service account in services.msc

Addendum:

ALSO:
When installing TTF2, check the option that adds startmenu entries for TTF. Try using the startmenu entries to fix the problem - does that work?

Last edited:
Change it from SYSTEM to Local Service account in services.msc
Changed. The same situation.

When installing TTF2, check the option that adds startmenu entries for TTF. Try using the startmenu entries to fix the problem - does that work?
Uninstalled TTF, then installed with the second checkbox only(i.e. only in start menu, not as service). Then started TTF via Start menu - WORKS.

It's something to do with your system configuration.

The start menu entries for TTF actually start and stop the program that very same program would be run a service, except from your user account and memory space.

One thing to check:
When it was installed as a service, was the "Interact with local desktop" option checked?

The start menu entries for TTF actually start and stop the program that very same program would be run a service, except from your user account and memory space.
Yes, that's why I was surprised too...

When it was installed as a service, was the "Interact with local desktop" option checked?
Yes, it was.

Addendum:

I've uninstalled TTF and installed as System service again. Will see if it will work.

New problem.... After these reinstallings - my taskbar refuses to work sometimes(3 times in 2 hours right now). I mean that it's not clickable. I click on it(every region of it) - it does NOT responding.
But IF ONLY I press Alt+Tab - all clicks become active and all previous clicks are executed(all windows I clicked before - are opened).

What's that? :smile:

Last edited:
Have you tried what I recommended in your other thread yet?
Boot into Safe Mode and see if TTF works from there.

Have you tried what I recommended in your other thread yet?
I've tried everything you advised and answered to you with your quotation... did I miss something?

Boot into Safe Mode and see if TTF works from there.
After I installed TTF in Start menu and then reinstalled TTF as service - tooltips are yet shown above the taskbar, i.e. normally(if not count that rare bug with "unclickable" taskbar from time to time).
So I'll wait till the bug shows up again and then will try safe mode. By the way, don't anybody know how to reproduce it? Because it was always random appearance of it.

Back