[Fixed] BCD assigns wrong drive letter to Vista

jkb242

I have two OS's intalled and used EZ BCD to name the system the way I wanted them to display. That worked but Vista was assigned drive letter U for the location of the winloader file that loads Vista when I "view" the settings using BCD.

Regardless of the drive letter I put in the drive letter box, or how many times I try this, Vista is always assigned drive letter U.

Please help.

I have two OS's intalled and used EZ BCD to name the system the way I wanted them to display. That worked but Vista was assigned drive letter U for the location of the winloader file that loads Vista when I "view" the settings using BCD.

Regardless of the drive letter I put in the drive letter box, or how many times I try this, Vista is always assigned drive letter U.

Please help.

Hi jkb242. Welcome to NST.
You need to go to the "Change Settings" section of EasyBCD, and there give the Vista partition the correct drive letter. :wink: The letter "U" you see in EasyBCD is not actually a drive letter. It actually stands for "Unavailable" or other similar words beginning with "U". That problem can be easily remedied in the Change Settings section of EasyBCD.

Cheers, and let us know if you have any more questions.

Jake

Vista option missing in dual boot with windows 7

I installed Windows 7 a few weeks ago to play around with. Did it the right way, bought a new hard drive, wiped and reloaded Vista Ultimate and then installed Windows 7 on the new drive. Fooled around with it a little and then went back to Vista.
So today I thought I would go back and play a little with 7, but when I boot up windows 7 is not an option, it just boots straight into Vista.

After doing a little research I found EasyBCD and downloaded it thinking it might help. But I already know that this is what is in my bootmgr from looking at msconfig:

There is one entry in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 30 seconds.
Default OS: Microsoft Windows Vista
Entry #1
Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

So is there a safe way to add Windows 7 back into the boot?
From inside Vista, Vista is installed on C drive, Windows 7 is on E drive.

Thanks!!

Hello Chrysos,

Add a new "Vista" entry using EasyBCD for Windows 7 on the Windows tab when you're viewing the Add/Remove entries page.

Still no option to boot into win 7

So I added another Vista entry, named it Windows 7 and assigned it Drive E
Pressed the save button and rebooted, still no Windows 7 in boot menu, boots right into Vista.
Here is what it shows now in BCD, it shows Windows 7 as drive U even though I put in drive E. I have deleted it and redone it several times:

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 30 seconds.
Default OS: Microsoft Windows Vista
Entry #1
Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Entry #2
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {df6011b9-0ec8-11de-bd80-0011f6082541}
Drive: U:\

If that don't work, force boot manager to display a boot menu using command prompt:

Code:
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

I've moved this into the Bug forum because I noticed this myself when adding W7, and I've merged 2 threads with the same symptom from last night.
If you tell Easy the correct letter in "add" It assigns "u" and has to be corrected in "change settings".
The workaround is simple, but it's still a bug.
JKB and crysos, - were you using EasyBCD 2.0 or 1.7 ?
My experience was with 1.7. I'm not sure whether it happens in 2.0

Last edited:
Interesting. Looking into it now.

Addendum:

Terry, I cannot reproduce this on my end with v2.

Can you try and let me know?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Just removed W7 and added it again, and it got it right first time. Didn't need the change settings workaround in 2.0, so I guess it's "fixed in latest release".

Back