Unhandled exception in 1.7.2 and 2.0 beta

Judgement

Experiencing a BSOD on Vista Home Premium boot following secondary XP SP2 install. Was having a problem adding and deleting entries on 1.7.2, got an unhandled exception error, so downloaded 2.0 beta, same issue.

As is there are no entries in the bootloader, and I get this unhandled exception error whenever attempting to add one.

As my default boot OS is Vista which will not boot, and I cannot create an entry in EasyBCD, I cannot reboot my computer or I will not be able to access my working XP partition. This computer is a Toshiba Satellite M305-S4910 which ships with Vista preinstalled...I don't have a Vista disk to attempt a bootloader repair (unless the Toshiba driver CD which shipped with this laptop can be used for this).

Here's the error:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index and count must refer to a location within the string.
Parameter name: count
at System.String.Remove(Int32 startIndex, Int32 count)
at ..(String , String )
at ..(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
CodeBase: file:///G:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
EasyBCD
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.60
Win32 Version: 2.0.0.60
CodeBase: file:///G:/Program%20Files/NeoSmart%20Technologies/EasyBCD/EasyBCD.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///G:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///G:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///G:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
CodeBase: file:///G:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///G:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
{b46f29ad-5828-4f54-a1a0-2e104e87edb1}
Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///G:/Program%20Files/NeoSmart%20Technologies/EasyBCD/EasyBCD.exe
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///G:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///G:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
NeoSmart.UpdateChecker
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Interop.Microsoft.Feeds.Interop
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///G:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Until I got this error, I was simply going to post in the support thread, but until this error can be resolved, I cannot undertake suggested troubleshooting steps. Help would be vastly appreciated.

Last edited:
Experiencing a BSOD on Vista Home Premium boot following secondary XP SP2 install. Was having a problem adding and deleting entries on 1.7.2, got an unhandled exception error, so downloaded 2.0 beta, same issue.
Hello Judgement, welcome to NST.
Ok, so Vista was preinstalled, XP was installed later, BSOD following install of XP, when attempting to boot into Vista...is that correct? And so now you're in XP, and you think you can't reboot without losing the ability to boot into either OS?
Since XP was installed last, that means XP's bootloader is now controlling the boot, instead of Vista's, which means you should still be able to boot into XP after you reboot, assuming you didn't modify the XP bootloader in any way (i.e. by moving the boot.ini and/or ntldr and/or ntdetect.com, or reconfigured boot.ini). At this point, EasyBCD is of no real use to you anyway, since it is for modifying the Vista BCD, which is not in use at the moment, since XP is controlling the boot.
But I believe your EasyBCD error is because you must not have .Net Framework already installed, which is a requirement of EasyBCD. So, once you install .Net Framework in XP (which I'm assuming is where you're trying to use EasyBCD from), it should work perfectly.
So, first get the .Net Framework issue resolved, and then you can use EasyBCD to restore the Vista bootloader to the system, after which you can use it to add an XP entry to your Vista boot menu, and dual-boot the two.

Cheers.

Jake

.NET framework 2.0 SP1 is installed, I'm afraid...your summation of my issue is correct. I am currently downloading and installing .NET framework 3.5 with updates to see if this resolves the problem.

Last edited:
.NET framework 2.0 SP1 is installed, I'm afraid...
Ok, so it seems your "unhandled exception" problem is a bit more complicated...
In [post=27288]this post[/post], Guru said the following in regards to an error similar to yours:
Looks like the configuration files used by the .NET Framework to keep track of applications have been corrupted.

Delete this folder on your PC:
C:\users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\NeoSmart_Technologies

be sure to replace "USERNAME" with your username.
So try that, and see what happens.

Jake

Since I am using XP, the path listed there wasn't valid, but I did find Neosmart_Technologies with the user.cfg file at G:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data, and deleted it.

After trying EasyBCD 2.0 beta again, I received the same error as before. Perhaps that wasn't the correct file...?

No, I'm pretty sure that was the correct file.
Ok, so I'm out of my depth on this issue. Guru will have to tell us what this error is about.
In the meantime, you can download our recovery disk torrent from this link, use it to download the actual .iso file with a torrent client (such as uTorrent), burn it (i.e. the ISO file) to a CD with ImgBurn, and then boot from the CD.
It is a stripped-down version of the Vista dvd, which you can use to run Startup Repair (2-3 times, since it can only fix one problem per pass) from, and then you should at least be able to boot into Vista again.
And then, after that, you can try using EasyBCD from Vista instead of XP, and see if you still get that error. If not, then you can simply add an XP entry to the Vista boot menu, and dual-boot.

Last edited:
I'll do that, and inform you if that proves successful...Otherwise, if Guru has further advice or insight, I'd certainly love to hear it.

Thank you for your time and expedient replies.

Addendum:

I followed your steps and burned the ISO, rebooted and ran the Startup Recovery, which informed me that it could not solve the problem. Subsequent attempts to run Startup Recovery do not detect any problems, however, I still get the same bluescreen when attempting to boot into Vista.

As I feared in my earlier post, the Vista bootloader did in fact overwrite the XP bootloader via EasyBCD, and now I can no longer boot into XP which was the only functioning OS on the drive. I am writing this post on a second PC.

What shall I do now? Would you like to see the Startup Recovery failure details?

Last edited:
Addendum:

I followed your steps and burned the ISO, rebooted and ran the Startup Recovery, which informed me that it could not solve the problem. Subsequent attempts to run Startup Recovery do not detect any problems, however, I still get the same bluescreen when attempting to boot into Vista.
Ok, so when you were installing XP, did you go into your BIOS, and change any settings (excluding putting the CD/DVD drive first in the boot order)?
If so, then go ahead, and reverse the changes you made, and then Vista should boot.

Upon further investigation, I had changed the SATA controller mode from AHCI to compatibility mode previously, and upon reverting to AHCI, Vista booted correctly. Finally some luck, thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
It seems to me that when EasyBCD wrote the bootloader to Vista, one or more of the files it wrote was corrupted somehow (in my layman's opinion, of course).
If that was the case, Startup Repair would have certainly fixed it. How many times did you run it anyway? Normally, fixing a boot takes 2-3 times, because it can apparently only fix one problem per pass.

Upon further investigation, I had changed the SATA controller mode from AHCI to compatibility mode previously, and upon reverting to AHCI, Vista booted correctly. Finally some luck, thanks for the suggestion.
Ok, that's what I suspected. Glad you got it working.
Now, in Vista, you can add a XP entry to your Vista boot menu with EasyBCD 2.0 Beta. See if you still get that error in Vista.

Jake

I got EasyBCD installed on Vista, but after reverting to SATA AHCI mode, now XP will not boot unless I go to Compatibility mode again (in which case Vista will not boot). Any ideas?

LOL...that's where I was too, a few months ago when working out my own triboot. Vista would boot in AHCI mode, but not ATA, and XP would boot in ATA mode, but not AHCI. I fixed it by installing the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager" driver (you can Google it to find one appropriate for your model of computer, and OS) in XP, after which I could boot just fine into either OS with AHCI mode. :smile:

Good luck.

Jake

If installing the driver doesnt work you can re-install Vista in ATA mode and XP/Vista well boot fine.

I'm on a Toshiba Satellite M305-S4910 with Vista Home Premium preloaded, which uses the Intel GM45 chipset (Mobile ICH9M). Attempts to install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager under XP SP2 result in "your hardware does not meet minimum installation requirements". I've dug around on the Toshiba website, and it appears that the ACHI XP F6 Install Tool for Windows XP hasn't been updated since last year before the M series was released.

I would of course prefer not to have to reinstall XP again and deal with slipstreaming, but I'm unsure what other option I have. I did attempt to simply extract the Intel Matrix Storage Manager and copy isStor.sys from the Driver directory into the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers directory along with creating a .reg file to update the registry and reboot in AHCI mode in BIOS...however, that simply resulted in another BSOD.

Ideas, anyone? This computer came with Vista preloaded (it isn't mine), and so simply reinstalling Vista in ATA mode isn't an option at this time.

List of links to look at:

Content Details
Lenovo Support & downloads - Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver for Windows XP, Vista (32bit) - ThinkPad
http://www.download3k.com/Drivers/Storage/Download-Intel-Matrix-Storage-Manager.html
Driver's Collection: ICH9M-EM SATA AHCI Controller Driver Download
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2101

BTW, finding ones that might work with your particular system was more difficult than usual. The last link looks very promising though. I copied the link of the page where you select your operating system because I don't think you mentioned what version of XP it is, i.e. whether Home Edition or Professional, and whether 32-bit or 64-bit.

Here is the original page:

Chipsets - Chipset information and downloads

Scroll down, and you will see it has links specifically for the Mobile Intel GM45 Chipset, one of which is the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, which I clicked, and which sent me to the same page I linked to in the last link.

Last edited:
Back