Wishing for a "Start-up" Repair Boot Disc for Windows XP 32-Bit and 64-Bit

tech_YodA

I was searching through a few of the threads for any kind of related topics to the above "Subject Title" in question. Will it be possible for you Neo to create a "Start-up Repair Boot Disc" for the Windows XP 32-Bit and 64-Bit Operating System as you have created for downloads for the Windows Vista (32-Bit & 64-Bit) and for Windows 7 (32-Bit and 64-Bit).

I ask this just for the sake of systematic organization of having "Start-Up Repair Boot Disc" for all three of the above Operating System's seeing that they are the Operating Systems that are most widely used in the market. I don't expect a "Start-Up Repair Boot Disc" for Windows OS 2000 or earlier seeing that I am fairly sure (but not too sure since we are talking about way back) that when these OSes existed on OEM machines that they provided you with a full Retail copy of the Windows 2000 Operating System (but again this is just an assumption). I ask you this because I know that even the older machines that come with a pre-installation of OEM Windows XP come as OEM based Windows XP System Recovery Disk without giving you the option of Reapairing your disc using the "R" option or with accessing the Windows XP Recovery Console and the other typical Retail Windows XP Start-Up Repair" tools.

So here I am making my vouch and my request for you to hopefully develop a reversed engineered Windows XP "Stat-Up Repair Boot Disc" when the free-time comes to bear one of these days when possible and applicable

A many thanks for reading this out

P.S. You have very good information on mult/dual booting Windows XP/Vista. I was also wondering if you have information on mult/dual booting Windows XP/7, Vista/7, and/or XP/Vista/7 as another add-on question. Thanks for all of the info in advanced and thanks so much Neo for making the Windows 7 /Windows Vista "Start-Up Repair Boot Discs".:smile:

P.S. You have very good information on mult/dual booting Windows XP/Vista. I was also wondering if you have information on mult/dual booting Windows XP/7, Vista/7, and/or XP/Vista/7 as another add-on question. Thanks for all of the info in advanced and thanks so much Neo for making the Windows 7 /Windows Vista "Start-Up Repair Boot Discs".:smile:
All multiboot scenarios using the OSes you mentioned (as well as some you didn't) will work with the help of EasyBCD 2.0 RC.
View the links in my sig for info on how to use it.

Sure thing I will defintely check it out as I will need to write technincal documentation of my own for further reference. I am very glad I found the NeoSmart.net website as I used to work at a call-center with customer's calling up about their OEM machines and the inability to launch the "Run Start-Up Repair" feature with Windows Vista with their OEM Recovery Discs.

I am sure I will have to wait until rather [Computer Guru ] himself answers my first Q. I am sure he is busy and the such :wink:. He was the developer for the reversed engineered Vista "Startup Repair Disc" and the 7 "Start Repair Disc" no? I am sure they are not called "Startup Repair Disc" nor reversed engineered for that matter but using such as an example.

I know it is a project that was developed quite some time ago and it looks like (from skimming through the threads) that he has developed (assuming) more projects that are of better interest (via. dual/multi booting Windows OS Projects that is) so I am sure the thought of creating a reversed engineered XP "Startup Repair Disc" would seem almost nill. Well it is certainly almost worth a try for asking thought :tongueout:

Last edited:
The Vista repair disk is pure MS. They provided it during Vista Beta testing, then removed it when Vista went RTM. This site continued to host a copy as a convenience to our users.
The W7 version can be created directly by the user from W7, so W7 users don't need to download a copy, but because a lot of users fall into the "grasshopper" rather than "ant" category, they often fail to do so while their system is healthy, and catch22 prevents them from doing so when it isn't.
We didn't "create" them, we just provide a lifeline copy.
We wouldn't do anything which MS would regard as piracy or in any other way stepping on their proprietorial toes.

Hi tech_yoda, welcome to NST (like your avatar!)

As Terry says, I didn't make this CD myself. I've had opportunity to do so under license from MS at my day job (disaster recovery discs for our proprietary backup software) and we've entirely shied away from doing anything with XP.

For all our purposes, Vista/7 recovery discs (since we pay for the WinPE license) get the job done just fine on XP, too. The software you stick on it just has to be aware of the underlying OS and take the right actions.

Stick around the forums, you look like you'd fit in here great :smile:

Hi tech_yoda, welcome to NST (like your avatar!)

As Terry says, I didn't make this CD myself. I've had opportunity to do so under license from MS at my day job (disaster recovery discs for our proprietary backup software) and we've entirely shied away from doing anything with XP.

A many thanks for the warm welcome Computer Guru! :smile:

So did you use to work for Microsoft then?

For all our purposes, Vista/7 recovery discs (since we pay for the WinPE license) get the job done just fine on XP, too. The software you stick on it just has to be aware of the underlying OS and take the right actions.

Stick around the forums, you look like you'd fit in here great :smile:

Ok so you are telling me that you can run a "Start-up Repair" with the Windows Vista & 7 "Start-Up Repair Disc" on an XP machine? :S What about with the Windows Vista & 7 x64 Bit editions can you do the same with XP 64-Bit? If also so I would be very amazed

Thanks for the direct reply to clear things up Computer Guru. Back when I saw your website back in my call-center days. I was so amazed that someone had managed to get rid of the OEM Recovery Disk woes. I assumed that you somehow (through the acquisition of getting a license or not) managed to rip out the "Start-Up Repair" feature and developed a solution from which you are presenting for downloads up to this date. When I came back to the downloads website, I was even MORE glad that one was available for Windows 7 as well as well as the Vista/7 64-Bit versions.

Not to worry I am definitely sticking around here for learning dual/multi OS installations and for typical Windows Errors that come up in the future

Definitely count on me as being a community member of this forum

t_y

Ok so you are telling me that you can run a "Start-up Repair" with the Windows Vista & 7 "Start-Up Repair Disc" on an XP machine? :S What about with the Windows Vista & 7 x64 Bit editions can you do the same with XP 64-Bit? If also so I would be very amazed
Not on XP-only machines. Guru is referring to when you're dual-booting XP with Vista or 7 (and note that this will not fix a XP-specific booting problem, if its a case of missing boot files or misconfigured boot.ini). FYI, you're not the first one who has had this idea here. We've had someone else a while back request this as well. I think this would be a cool thing to have too for those users who have an XP-only system and are having trouble booting it. All you would need is a simple program which runs off of a CD that copies the "boot.ini", "NTLDR", and "NTDETECT.COM" files to the correct location (the root of the "system" "active" partition) if they're missing, and fixes the MBR/PBR if its corrupted/non-existent, as well as re-configure boot.ini if its pointing at the wrong place(s). And it doesn't have to be MS-originated either.
But I doubt CG will agree to do this.

Last edited:
Back