Widescreen Monitors & Stuff

Sorry about that, Sarge. Hopefuly you'll get a kick-ass monitor to make up for it! :lol:

That Samsung w/ Magic Spectrum................................................ Damn! It looks awesome, but at that price I think I'll pass :smile:

Seriously though, I never felt my current monitor (ViewSonic, used to be one of the best - definitely excellent colors) was lacking - so why should I upgrade?

Sarge,
The same thing happened to a friend of mine here in Toronto. despite the fact that he didn't use surge protectors he managed to get compensation from the local Hydro (electricity) company. They fried his PC and TV. Turned out it was a tree on the street making wires touch each other....not his fault so he got money.

Sarge,
The same thing happened to a friend of mine here in Toronto. despite the fact that he didn't use surge protectors he managed to get compensation from the local Hydro (electricity) company. They fried his PC and TV. Turned out it was a tree on the street making wires touch each other....not his fault so he got money.

That's what happened to me, I believe! :S

On the thing I saw how power was high, that thing should make power lower but it couldn't react that quick, it was like a moment I heard, saw that power was very high and turned off monitor an that bam thing. Good thing TV and computer are alright... only monitor died.

Guru, haha kick-ass monitor is coming :grinning: *happy*. Only thing is that I can't do much but reading/writing on this one, I can imagine doing 3D modeling with 15" monitor... oh well... time is money. >.<

Normal power here is 220v, what killed my monitor was power of 270v.

Just FYI: Most monitors support 110-220 without switching anything or filcking any switches or anything. Keeping in that mind, it's safest to use 110V, so that even in case of a power surge, the monitor won't burn since it wouldn't be over 220V :smile:

My wall socket is 220V, but I'm using a 220->110 converter and a surge protector just in case :smile:

Alright, I got my monitor today, SincMaster 920NW...

samsung-920nw-19-inch-widescreen-lcd-monitor.jpg

When I came back home, I saw monitor arrived, and I saw TV was dead :wtf: fire came out if it before it died. I was like OMG what happened... and it was the same thing as before, power was too strong for a sec and it was BAM and done.... if I had computer on at that time... who knows what would happen... :shame: So, I had new monitor running for a few hours today... and it was awesome, but I had to go back to old one because I'm so afraid that power problem could come back and kill my new monitor >.<. I got TV fixed same day - today and I hope they will fix the bloody problem soon... :|

Last edited:
Very impressive Sarge but please get yourself some surge supressors and plug all your electronics into them.

I got a new toy today, Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 8000 (rechargeable keyboard & mouse).

1000_6_73_425x289_WED8000_dock_web1.jpg

It's nice, has a backlit keyboard and extra USB ports, but the keyboard being curved and with different sized keypads will take a bit of getting used to.

I have one of those surge supressors, and everything was pluged in.. but damn thing reacted too late :frowning:

Sarge, did your surge protector have a light that said "Protection" on it? It might have been generic extension cord thingy pretending to be a surge protector if it doesn't....

Nice keyboard, Peter! One of the best typing keyboards I had was an MS Natural Type (or something like that?) in the 90s.... It was the kind that was almost a complete 'U' shaped keyboard but it took a hell of a lot of getting used to.

Are you using IntelliType 6.2?

Yes CG - 6.2 It will take a lot of getting used to but I'll get there. Also because of the charging station on the back it has no pop-up legs to slope it towards you, but I'm sure that I'll get used to it.
I'd almost forgotten I'd ordered this thing months ago because M$ delayed its release so long.

I think I may know why M$ withdrew I/Type 6.2 and put up 6.1 in its place. When you install that software for any Bluetooth hardware, when it has finished installing the Bluetooth connection wizard would then normally appear. It didn't with this so I had to do things the hard(er) way.
Also on the Microsoft Keyboard UI Wireless tab the battery meter has been omitted for this keyboard at least. If I update it to my old keyboard, Keyboard Elite for Bluetooth, then I can read a battery meter OK.
I can live without it I suppose. I'm not about to uninstall/reinstall software for a minor discrepancy.

Hmmm.. sounds like Microsoft to me :smile:

Hopefully we'll get a 6.2.1 or something - but I'm not holding my breath!

Guru, I'm gonna have to check that, I'll take a pic of it, so you can see how it looks tomorrow.

I was watching video review on that mouse and keyboard on the web, last week, it's pretty good they say.:smile:

I tried to post an answer as I needed your advice and I got "page cannot be displayed" and then this:
Fatal error: XCache not installed in \includes\class_datastore_xcache.php on line 34

Grrr....I need to know why the new keyboard and mouse would appear twice in the Device manager in Vista.
(I haven't even ventured into my XP boots yet!!)

Also there's an extra HID compliant mouse entry..

Can I safely "uninstall" the extra entries??

(Ignore the wired mouse and keyboard entries as I always keep them stashed under the desk in case Bluetooth lets me down).

DevMngr.jpg

Yeah, I was trying to make the server load a bit quicker, didn't work :wink:

It's safe to remove them all (use a wired mouse though!), then let it re-detect and install only the one it needs.

Have you plugged them into two different USB ports? For some stupid reason, if you plug the same device into a different USB port, Windows thinks its a different device and installs it anew. Same for PCI slots, too. :frowning:

Oh wireless... haha I bought wireless headset today... and I couldn't hear a thing, I made it hearing something very blur, but far away from the limit I would say ok for. So... I'm taking them back tomorrow, and if nothing else, I'll change them for wired headset :grinning:

Yeah, I was trying to make the server load a bit quicker, didn't work :wink:

It's safe to remove them all (use a wired mouse though!), then let it re-detect and install only the one it needs.

Have you plugged them into two different USB ports? For some stupid reason, if you plug the same device into a different USB port, Windows thinks its a different device and installs it anew. Same for PCI slots, too. :frowning:

No it only uses 1 USB port. I'll fiddle around with it later on.

Hey, now all the pics including the one in my sig are just links...?

Addendum:

Oh wireless... haha I bought wireless headset today... and I couldn't hear a thing, I made it hearing something very blur, but far away from the limit I would say ok for. So... I'm taking them back tomorrow, and if nothing else, I'll change them for wired headset :grinning:

Sarge, I have 2 Bluetooth headsets and I only got them to work once, each!!

Last edited:
Damn. I think I know how that happened :x

Addendum:

OK, fixed. It was the image resizing plugin that ensures images aren't bigger than the page, it had to be reconfigured for some reason. Thanks for spotting that so fast, Peter - you've got a good eye :smile:

Last edited:
Sarge, I have 2 Bluetooth headsets and I only got them to work once, each!!

LOL... well, I have no idea how could they patent it, it just doesn't work, signal is so weak... anyways, I took wired headset today, and it's awesome! :joy:

Back