GRUB4Dos regressions in EasyBCD 2.3

manheim

I had been booting Win 10, Win 7, Win XP and Ubuntu using EasyBCD 2.3 . I eliminated Win 7 and deleted it's partition merging it with Win 10 on the same physical drive.
All of a sudden now when I attempt to boot into Ubuntu, located on another physical drive, all I get is a screen with "GRUB4DOS..Processing the preset-menu" and then nothing. Both Win 10 and Win XP boot normally from the EasyBCD menu.
Have tried re-adding a new entry for Ubuntu using GRUB 2 and I get the same GRUB4DOS screen. AutoNeoGrub0.mbr is located in C:\NST along with ntldr for XP.
What have I done wrong?

I had been booting Win 10, Win 7, Win XP and Ubuntu using EasyBCD 2.3 . I eliminated Win 7 and deleted it's partition merging it with Win 10 on the same physical drive.
All of a sudden now when I attempt to boot into Ubuntu, located on another physical drive, all I get is a screen with "GRUB4DOS..Processing the preset-menu" and then nothing. Both Win 10 and Win XP boot normally from the EasyBCD menu.
Have tried re-adding a new entry for Ubuntu using GRUB 2 and I get the same GRUB4DOS screen. AutoNeoGrub0.mbr is located in C:\NST along with ntldr for XP.
What have I done wrong?

Hi, I dont know exactly how you went about re-adding Ubuntu. But maybe if you try and first, completely delete the ubuntu entry from EasyBCD. Then boot the box a few times to what ever windows version you are using with EasyBCD. Then go back in and access EasyBCD and now add ubuntu in, using the Add New Entry, Autosetup in Linux/BSD. Just a suggestion it might work! good Luck

Tried that no joy. Thanks for the suggestion.
I am now using NeoGrub Bootloader and have set up a menu.1st file that will boot me into Kubuntu.

It sounds like something in your new disk layout is causing Grub4Dos' partition search routine to crash. I'm glad NeoGrub worked, but it shares code with G4D so it's a little odd...

It sounds like something in your new disk layout is causing Grub4Dos' partition search routine to crash. I'm glad NeoGrub worked, but it shares code with G4D so it's a little odd...
I can't remember the timing of when I updated EasyBCD to the current version. Do you think this had anything to do with my problem?

I'll be happy to upload a copy of the previous version of EasyBCD (2.2) if you want to try adding a GRUB2 entry with that and see if there was some sort of regression.

I'll be happy to upload a copy of the previous version of EasyBCD (2.2) if you want to try adding a GRUB2 entry with that and see if there was some sort of regression.
I was thinking about trying an earlier version. If you provide a link I will try it. Assume I need to uninstall my current version before installing an earlier version?

It'll uninstall any conflicting versions during setup. Your bootloader configuration (and boot helper files) will remain untouched and can be used side-by-side (i.e. your current entries will continue to work the same way they do).

Attachments

• EasyBCD 2.2.exe
    1.5 MB · Views: 132
It'll uninstall any conflicting versions during setup. Your bootloader configuration (and boot helper files) will remain untouched and can be used side-by-side (i.e. your current entries will continue to work the same way they do).
Thanks. I'll try v2.2 and let you know if it makes a difference.

Mmmmm that's not good news. Well, it is because it means things can work more-swimmingly for our users, but bad because it means we broke something.
Thanks for confirming; I'll dig into it as soon as I get the chance.

But did mqudsi do anything because I'm having the same problem and whatever is broken remains broken. I keep getting the same error message trying to access Ubuntu 16.04 which is working fine and sitting on a separate disk drive (with three ext4 partitions). The Ubuntu is working fine because I can boot to it directly by changing the boot drive in the Legacy bootlist I can bring up. But I paid for the commercial version of EasyBCD thinking it would get me support and a solution. But from this post I would venture that the problem isn't configuring EasyBCD 2.3. It's something in the code is flawed. I would like my money back on the commercial version which I never needed.

Has anyone resolved this issue? Just updated to Linux Mint Sonya (Mate) and am getting the same GRUB4DOS processing the preset menu ... and just hangs.

Thanks!!

At this point it looks as though the bug has never been addressed, After uninstalling 2.3 and re-installing 2.2 after learning you need to delete the Neosmart technologies folder left behind on un-install in the appdata/local folder 2.2 went back in fine and it worked fine. Once I re-created the boot for Linux everything now boots correctly.

Wow OP was on Jan 1, 2016 and it never has been addressed.

I am having this same issue all these years later, however the file for version 2.2 has now expired... would it be possible to reupload it as a workaround?

Cheers

Back