problems with linux partitions

Flinx

Hi all,

I have a notebook with 3 operation systems: Windows7, Linux Mint und Android X86. I used grub2 to switch between the OS at boot time using the simple text based menu grub2 shows. It all worked quite fine. Then I upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10. As I expected the setup overrides grub and so I reinstalled it again.

It turns out that grub was not able to boot windows 10 for whatever reason and after some googeling I decided to try it out of windows using EasyBCD. EasyBCD seems to find the Linux OP but when I select it from the boot menu strange things happen. Instead of starting Linux it starts up grub2 (which was obviously not overwritten but somehow pushed aside).

I can live with that but what is the reason? Is it possible that EasyBCD can not work with ext3 und ext4 formatted partitions (Linux and Android)?
By the way: my boot environment is BIOS.

BR Flinx

Last edited:
A BCD entry for linux added by EasyBCD is a chain to grub. If your grub menu has multiple options, they will be presented as a secondary menu.
The same thing (in reverse) happened when you booted Windows from grub. The difference was that Windows had only one boot option so had no need to present a secondary menu.
You can achieve a single-menu boot from Windows bootmgr by ensuring that the secondary (grub) boot menu only has the single entry for your Linux and remove any additional options that might be there.
Alternatively, tell grub to take control of the MBR back from W10.

A BCD entry for linux added by EasyBCD is a chain to grub. If your grub menu has multiple options, they will be presented as a secondary menu.
The same thing (in reverse) happened when you booted Windows from grub. The difference was that Windows had only one boot option so had no need to present a secondary menu.
You can achieve a single-menu boot from Windows bootmgr by ensuring that the secondary (grub) boot menu only has the single entry for your Linux and remove any additional options that might be there.
Alternatively, tell grub to take control of the MBR back from W10.

Thanks Terry, this explains the behaviour I experienced. As I need 2 options in grub it will be easier to leave it the way I now have. The short moment until the secondary grub menu shines up does no really matter. By the way it is important to switch off the (recommended) fast boot of windows 10 because this no 'real' boot and leads to confusing behaviour.

Back