Adding Ubuntu to a Windows multiboot array

maceo

While attempting to build a multiboot system from scratch I got to a point where I had Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 installed on their own dedicated drives and then installed EasyBCD on Windows 10, my default OS. At this point everything was working as planned- I boot into Win 10, get the EasyBCD menu and can successfully boot into the desired Windows flavor. I then physically disconnected the drives containing the Windows installations and installed Ubuntu on a fourth drive and it boots OK when I select it in the system bios. I then added it in EasyBCD however when I select Ubuntu in EasyBCD I just get a series of errors like "Try (hd0,0): NTFS5 : No ang0." All installations were done in BIOS legacy mode. I think I sorta understand what is wrong but just can't wrap my brain around how to fix it. I can continue to make my boot selections in the system bios but I would much rather use EasyBCD :smile:

MSI X299 SLI Plus bios rev. 1.80
Intel i9-7920X
G.Skill TridentZ 128GB 3200
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Intel Optane SSD 900P U.2
Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2 x2
Samsung 840 PRO 128GB sata x2

Installed beta build 212, removed existing boot setup, recreated boot menu from scratch. This was all done on my default Win10 drive. Can no longer boot into this drive (see attached) and Windows repair does not work.

Attachments

• IMG_1580.JPG
    IMG_1580.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
None of the methods listed on the link were able to repair my bootloader. I have recovered my Win10 disk from a backup image. At this point EasyBCD has been a failure for me. Ironically the primary reason I purchased EasyBCD was the lure of "easy"! Choosing a boot disk from my system bios or simply using GRUB is much easier than the hours I have spent trying to get EasyBCD to work as advertised. I am not on the NeoSmart payroll therefore I am not willing to spend any more time testing software that was advertised to "easily" do exactly what I am trying to do. Subsequently I have requested a refund. Thanks for the effort.

Back