Will EasyBCD 2.2 add Ubuntu boot to my Win7 laptop UEFI?

pjnoxon

Hi there!

I recently bought a nice little ASUS K55A-RBR6 i5-2450M 750Gb laptop with Win7 64b on it.
I resized the C: and D: to leave 188Gb unformatted and I want to put Ubuntu in there.
I understand there is a bug in Ubuntu install and it won't dual boot but that EasyBCD
will fix that. My question is will EasyBCD fix that by adding UEFI entry for Ubuntu or does it
only fix things by doing something else? This laptop (like all new laptops) is set up for UEFI
and that is the way it should be. There should be a way for EasyBCD to make the UEFI entry
within the UEFI partition for other OS, and that is what I want.

The other wrinkle is that I understand UEFI is present in Ubuntu 12.10 but I would rather go
with the Ubuntu 12.04 that is more stable but may not be UEFI aware.

yours - prof james

Currently, there is no way to work around Microsoft's limitation on UEFI BOOTMGR. To boot into Linux on a computer with UEFI Windows 7, you must install GRUB2 as your main UEFI bootloader.

The other wrinkle is that I understand UEFI is present in Ubuntu 12.10 but I would rather go
with the Ubuntu 12.04 that is more stable but may not be UEFI aware.
Did you test UEFI functionality of Ubuntu 12.10 with your GPT disk?
I did recently and grub2 didn't install properly. There was actually no difference between Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10.
For both ... no grub boot selection menu upon startup!

Yes, I didn't have any problems loading GRUB2 from the UEFI firmware. Make sure you have a plain Jane boot partition, no llvm, no fancy filesystem, no anything.

Back