Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 26333435363738 LastLast

Thread: [Download] Vista Hide 'n Seek BETA

Happy Hide 'n Seeking.
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Please keep requests for help in the forums where everyone can see them, not in Private Messages.
    Posting a plea for help or information in the forum, will be seen more quickly by a widely experienced audience.
    A solution in the forum could also be useful to other future visitors, so PLEASE, no private requests. (they won't be answered !)

Default HnS - Install Xp after Vista

I successfully installed HnS on my laptop.

I wish to thank all that were involved in providing a solution for protecting Vista's restore points.

My laptop was the test unit for dual booting.

After several reinstalls of Vista due to missing restore points, I researched & found HnS.

Since XP was already installed on a separate partition; my last reinstall of Vista, followed by HnS, took care of the problem.

I now wish to repeat the configuration for my desktop, except that XP isn't installed to a partition yet.

I've looked at many interchanges on the various NeoSmart forums, and articles such as APCMAG, and the links appended to the bottom of Moderator responses.

So far, the information is either pre-HnS or Xp is already installed.

Can I execute HnS with just Vista installed, so that I can install Xp, then, remove & reinstall HnS.

If what I'm looking for has been addressed, please point me to the procedure or discussion.

Thank you.

rickstev

Hi Rick, welcome to NST.
    No you can't "pre-install" HnS.
    HnS isn't installed as such, it's actually a GUI which installs a custom version of Grub4Dos, and auto-configures the grub menu.lst.
    The important part is the "menu.lst" which contains the descriptions and positions of your OSs and which bits are hidden from which other bits.
    Obviously, all the bits have to be in place before you can do that.

Make sure your Vista is in a secure and stable condition
    Install XP, run this XP registry hack, check whether XP can access Vista files and folders
    Repair the Vista boot
    If the hack worked, you don't need HnS (It's provided for people like me, for whom the hack didn't work)
    If the hack didn't work, run HnS on Vista
    Set a Vista restore point with a unique name
    Boot XP
    Boot Vista, check that the restore point is still there.
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Please keep requests for help in the forums where everyone can see them, not in Private Messages.
    Posting a plea for help or information in the forum, will be seen more quickly by a widely experienced audience.
    A solution in the forum could also be useful to other future visitors, so PLEASE, no private requests. (they won't be answered !)

Thank you Terry for the background info & the procedure.
    I hope to be able to wrap this up during the coming week-end.
    rickstev

Thanks for your help Terry60 - Dual Booting XP with Vista already installed is working fine.

Glad you're OK. Did you need HnS ?
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Default HideNSeek - works, thanks! Default OS Timeout?

I am just a weekend computer tinkerer and haven't been able to get around the Vista - XP delete restore points issue even after trying multiple online suggestions. However, this works perfectly for me. Thanks a lot for your efforts!

Question: Is it possible to change the default OS timeout to a lower number? I think it must be set to 30 seconds now.

It gave you the option to fine tune those settings at the last stage of the UI.exe, but just find the menu.lst file on your "system" partition and you can use notepad to alter the timeout value.
    HnS menu.lst looks like this example only less complex.
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Hi Terry

Just seen that EasyBCD 2 is now out. Does it now do what hns does?

Gareth

Quote Originally Posted by GDH View Post
    Hi Terry

Just seen that EasyBCD 2 is now out. Does it now do what hns does?

Gareth
    Correct. It does away with the second XP boot menu in cases of multiple XPs.

The DARK knight. The knight of DARKNESS.
    SHADOW
    killer. The NINJA, master of darkness, stealth and invisibility.
    Jake Johnson

Having dual-booting problems? Have a read of the following links to help you better accomplish your goal:

1. PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING WITH A PROBLEM | 2. Steps for Multibooting | 3. Multibooters - Understanding the Multiboot Process

Somewhat.

EasyBCD 2 implements the single-level menu with multiple XPs and Vista/7s, but does not hide the XP drive when booting into 7.
    Mahmoud Al-Qudsi, Director

I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages

Follow us on twitter @neosmart or on Facebook!
    Like us on facebook!

Thanks all - So if I still want to protect Windows 7 restore points from Windows XP, I assume I need to still use hns?! I thought could always see the XP drive in Windows 7 - it was the Windows 7/Vista drive I couldn't see in Windows XP as it was hidden to prevent XP overwriting the Windows 7/Vista restore points? So does EasyBCD 2 hide the Windows 7/Vista drive when it boots Windows XP?
    Last edited by GDH; July 25th, 2010 at 09:53 AM.

Unless the registry hack works for you. You still need HidenSeek to hide the system restores from each other. CG it would be nice for a W7 boot graphic as an option from the vista one

Hey Mike,

Not sure what you're referring to - do you mean the graphic inside the HnS software, that is overlaid on top of the drive icons?
    Mahmoud Al-Qudsi, Director

I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages

Follow us on twitter @neosmart or on Facebook!
    Like us on facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by GDH View Post
    So does EasyBCD 2 hide the Windows 7/Vista drive when it boots Windows XP?
    No, for that, you will need to use either the registry hack like Mike8 mentioned, or HnS.
    Or some other 3rd party boot manager.

The DARK knight. The knight of DARKNESS.
    SHADOW
    killer. The NINJA, master of darkness, stealth and invisibility.
    Jake Johnson

Having dual-booting problems? Have a read of the following links to help you better accomplish your goal:

1. PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING WITH A PROBLEM | 2. Steps for Multibooting | 3. Multibooters - Understanding the Multiboot Process