Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\Install.wim... Error: 0x80070002

d00d

Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\Install.wim. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070002.

Is displayed when I use the Vista Recovery Disc to Install Vista... how can I fix this? Toshiba didn't give me the install disc and I accidentally installed Ubuntu over vista.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi d00d, welcome to NST.
Bad news I'm afraid, if you're using one of the recovery disks from this site. They contain no Windows installation files and cannot be used to reinstall Vista. They are merely to get users without a bootable recovery disk, into the Vista recovery environment when their ability to boot has been lost. You can use them to repair a broken boot, or to go back to an old Vista system restore point on a damaged system, but you can't create Vista from scratch.
If Toshiba didn't give you a Vista disk, they presumably gave you a recovery partition, and the ability to use that to reset your PC back to the factory condition it was delivered in.
Try PF 11 or 12 as you boot to enter your recovery envirnment. If they don't work, dig out the documentation that came with your PC and find out what key combination they've set, to enter the factory restore screen.

Terry's right, but that's assuming you didn't accidentally wipe out the recovery partition as well when you installed Ubuntu.

Yes, if you've formatted the whole disk and lost your recovery partition too, you'll need to contact Toshiba support for a recovery DVD, and probably have to pay them a nominal fee.
Alternatively, find a friend with a Vista DVD (any flavour will do) and borrow it to do a clean install of Vista, using the serial number on your PC, not the one on the DVD. The serial number you provide will tell the installation DVD which version of Vista you are licenced for and install the correct version.(they're all on the DVD). You are not making an illegal copy of Vista if you do so, your serial number is your licence to use a copy, it doesn't really matter where it comes from.

I have the same problem

I have HP Recovery DVDs that I burned myself.I also have the partition still intact, I'm able to view it through Ubuntu live. I can't get the recovery console by inserting my disk, but I can get it throught your recovery disk. But it ask me for File D:\Sources\Install.wim I don't know where to find it. Any suggestions are welcomed thanks.

Hi C00n, welcome to NST.
You can't use the "Install" button on the recovery CD, it contains no installation files.
You can only use the "repair your computer" link at the bottom left.

I have the same problem as above.
My Vista died. When I start up i get only a black screen.
I can't get to a safe boot. If I press F8 nothing happens (that's why I didn't make back-up disks, because it never did worked)
I have a recovery partition!
When I use the recovery CD, i get the install screen. Here i did 2 things

-1 When I say ok, i get : Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\Install.wim. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070002.
I now get the repair screen, but I have no points to go back to. I only can go to the DOS-prompt. If i want to see the drives, they don't exist..

-2 When I say ok but put in a driver cd (I have download drivers from the brand-site). He find the ones. He install them. Then I put the recovery cd in and he try to install but i again get : Windows cannot open the required file D:\Sources\Install.wim. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070002. I get the repair screen. No I can go to the DOS-prompt and see the drives, including my C: where my vista is, and my D: where my recovery partition is.

What can I do now?

There is no install files on our Recovery CD. You can't use it to reinstall Vista. It is for Recovery Purposes only.

Since you have a Recovery Partition, you will have to boot to that to recovery your system to a previously created restore point or return it to factory settings. Check your manual to find out how to achieve this.

Back