Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Edit Boot WIN7/XP

Default Help Edit Boot WIN7/XP

Here is my setup:
    Was running XP on little 50GB HDD, cloned it to nice big'ol 500GB. Pulled the 50GB and set it aside. Installed the 500GB cloned XP, made sure it worked perfectly and it does. So I then upgraded to WIN7 Home Premium. Got WIN7 up and running just great. At this point my boot loader looked like this:
    Previous Version of Windows
    Windows 7
    Recovery Console (I'll delete this later at some point, but it doesn't bother me one bit for now)

So everything has been going great for a couple days. Of course, now I get greedy and I added back the 50GB XP HDD to the computer (as a slave - master is the 500gb). Installed EasyBCD 1.7.2 (I realize now the beta exists now that I am a newbie member), added an entry for Windows XP, pointed to my 50GB drive letter ( E: ) and rebooted.

All I am getting is the error: "A Disk Read Error Has Occurred... cntrl-alt-delete to reboot"

What do I do? I think I need to point to a more exact point instead of just the drive letter ( E: ). Do I need to use the Boot Editor to edit the path? Is this right? What should I be point to in the drive? What exactly?

Many thanks for the help.... Here is a copy of my BCDEDIT if it helps below:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit
    Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier {bootmgr}
    device partition=C:
    description Windows Boot Manager
    locale en-US
    inherit {globalsettings}
    default {current}
    resumeobject {fc9435e2-c123-11de-a8a2-a09f45c8592c}
    displayorder {ntldr}
    {current}
    {fc9435e6-c123-11de-a8a2-a09f45c8592c}
    toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
    timeout 30
    Windows Legacy OS Loader
    ------------------------
    identifier {ntldr}
    device partition=C:
    path \ntldr
    description Previous Version of Windows
    Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier {current}
    device partition=C:
    path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
    description Windows 7
    locale en-US
    inherit {bootloadersettings}
    recoverysequence {fc9435e4-c123-11de-a8a2-a09f45c8592c}
    recoveryenabled Yes
    osdevice partition=C:
    systemroot \Windows
    nx OptIn
    Real-mode Boot Sector
    ---------------------
    identifier {fc9435e6-c123-11de-a8a2-a09f45c8592c}
    device partition=E:
    path \NTLDR
    description Windows XP

Addendum:

Done some good reading. Went ahead and downloaded EasyBCD 2.0 latest build. (uninstalled 1.7.2)
    Deleted the XP entry (that I added) from the BCD
    Added it again
    Let Easy2 auto-configure the XP boot when it offers (couldn't help notice it automatically determines that my XP is on my C drive, but mine is on E - Could it be auto finding the previous windows - I didnt delete that).
    Hoping it will fix my boot.ini for me, I changed the settings under Entry-Based Settings to my E Drive.

Rebooted and picked Windows XP to boot and got same error:
    "A Disk Read Error Has Occurred... cntrl-alt-delete to reboot"

Addendum:

Reading some more: Maybe has to due with Disk Management, but I don't want to start messing around with settings until I get some opinions, help, ideas, etc.... going to bed!
    Last edited by craigconwater; October 25th, 2009 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Automagically-merged double-post.

Can't leave with a screenshot.... hope for help in the morning:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Craig.
    Use EasyBCD 2.0 latest build
    Delete both XP entries
    Add a new one, accept the offer to auto-configure.
    EasyBCD will create a boot.ini with 2 XPs.
    You choose between them in the NTLDR (second) boot menu.
    You can't have 2 XP entries in the BCD because the BCD doesn't point to XP. It points to the XP boot files which have to be in the "system" partition, and they (boot.ini) point to XP(s).
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Please keep requests for help in the forums where everyone can see them, not in Private Messages.
    Posting a plea for help or information in the forum, will be seen more quickly by a widely experienced audience.
    A solution in the forum could also be useful to other future visitors, so PLEASE, no private requests. (they won't be answered !)

Hi Terry,

You really had me excited. Sounded so simple, but it did not work.

I deleted both XP entries, added the new one, accepting the auto configure (but EasyBCD shows it only created one XP). Thinking it might be something in the boot screen (because you said second boot menu - which I havent seen before) that will show two, I rebooted, chose XP and got the same error: "A Disk Read Error Has Occurred... cntrl-alt-delete to reboot".

You said, "It points to the XP boot files which have to be in the "system" partition, and they (boot.ini) point to XP(s)." Can you look at my screen shot? I am thinking because the XP that I want to boot is on a different drive than windows7, that might be a problem. I have been reading about users saying something about "system" partition. My screen shot might reveal my answer, but I am not seeing it.

Addendum:

The answer seems like it is in my disk management. Can you help me?
    Last edited by craigconwater; October 26th, 2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Automagically-merged double-post.

Is the old HDD IDE, and the new one SATA ?
    Why did you jumper the old HDD as "slave".
    If you've only got one IDE, it should be "master"
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Please keep requests for help in the forums where everyone can see them, not in Private Messages.
    Posting a plea for help or information in the forum, will be seen more quickly by a widely experienced audience.
    A solution in the forum could also be useful to other future visitors, so PLEASE, no private requests. (they won't be answered !)

First IDE cable - I got windows 7 on 500gb (master) and storage 300gb (slave) on the same IDE cable.

Second IDE cable - have the old windows xp on 50gb (slave).

All PATA, not SATA. I could swap storage and xp drive on the cables and make the xp drive cable select. Will that change anything though? Won't EasyBCD still auto-find the c drive for XP? It seems to me it's not finding XP on the E drive.

Addendum:

All PATA/IDE and definitely not SATA (not even the new one).
    Last edited by craigconwater; October 27th, 2009 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Automagically-merged double-post.

First of all, EasyBCD is correct. Your "system" "active" partition (C) is Win 7, and that is the partition that contains all the boot files for both systems. Don't keep playing around with the drive letter the XP entry in the BCD is pointing at. That will get you nowhere.
    boot.ini (the file which you can find in the root of the C: partition) is what points to the XP on E.

I suppose it could do no harm for you to go ahead, and post the contents of the boot.ini.
    Before you will be able to see it though, you will need to show hidden files and folders, and unhide protected system files in the Folder Options in the Control Panel.
    It could be Easy made a mistake, and made the boot.ini point at the wrong HDD (your storage one, for example)...

@Terry: His clone XP was upgraded to Win 7, he said, so that means he only has one XP (not 2).
    Last edited by Coolname007; October 27th, 2009 at 11:41 AM.

The DARK knight. The knight of DARKNESS.
    SHADOW
    killer. The NINJA, master of darkness, stealth and invisibility.
    Jake Johnson

Having dual-booting problems? Have a read of the following links to help you better accomplish your goal:

1. PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING WITH A PROBLEM | 2. Steps for Multibooting | 3. Multibooters - Understanding the Multiboot Process

I'll try anything. When I get back home I will post the boot.ini contents.

He's trying to add the original XP back as a second XP Jake.

Craig.
    put the old HDD on the secondary IDE channel as "master".
    You'll get problems having a HDD on an IDE as slave with no master.
    Don't be confused by the word
    MASTER doesn't have anything to do with boot sequence, it's an old-fashioned terminology implying a dominance which hasn't existed since early DOS.
    master/slave just means disk0/disk1
    You've got a 0,0, a 0,1 and a 1,1 without a 1,0
    I think that's causing the disk read error.
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

So I missed something...
    Primary IDE Channel:
    (M) 500GB WesternDigital WIN7
    (S) 320GB WD - Storage, scratch disks
    On the secondary IDE channel:
    (M) DVDRW
    (S) 50GB Seagate WINXP

I forgot to say there is a DVDRW drive on the secondary IDE channel set as Master.

I wasn't sure about making the 50GB Master, but I did and I unplugged the DVD recorder just to be safe. Reboot with these settings (DVDRW - removed):
    Primary IDE Channel:
    (S) 320GB WD - Storage, scratch disks
    (M) 50GB Seagate WINXP

And saw this:
    INTEL BOOT AGENT VERSION 3.0.03
    PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM
    then went black and then... got BOOT FAILURE: System Halted

No luck.

So, I went ahead and yanked the drives to this setup:
    Primary IDE Channel:
    (M) 50GB Seagate WINXP
    (M) DVDRW
    (S) 320GB Storage, scratch

Didn't like it I guess, same error:
    INTEL BOOT AGENT VERSION 3.0.03
    PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM
    then went black and then... got BOOT FAILURE: System Halted

Got everything working again by using this setup (primary - changed 50GB back to slave and secondary - resetting DVDRW to M and 320GB to S):
    Primary IDE Channel:
    (S) 50GB Seagate WINXP
    (M) DVDRW
    (S) 320GB Storage, scratch

Booted back up and tried EasyBCD using the auto settings above (deleted XP first and added, noted EasyBCD still sees XP as C drive during auto-setup). Restarted still can't boot XP. Says the same error that we keep seeing from the start.

Do I need to change the BIOS so the Intel Boot Agent doesn't start up? I am thinking BIOS settings now that I can't boot with two masters on the same IDE channel. I will repost Disk Management settings and Boot setup.

Addendum:

New BCDEDIT:Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\Windows\system32>bmdedit
    'bmdedit' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.
    C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit
    Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier {bootmgr}
    device partition=C:
    description Windows Boot Manager
    locale en-US
    inherit {globalsettings}
    default {current}
    displayorder {current}
    {fc9435eb-c123-11de-a8a2-a09f45c8592c}
    toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
    timeout 30
    Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier {current}
    device partition=C:
    path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
    description Windows 7
    locale en-US
    inherit {bootloadersettings}
    recoverysequence {fc9435e4-c123-11de-a8a2-a09f45c8592c}
    recoveryenabled Yes
    osdevice partition=C:
    systemroot \Windows
    nx OptIn
    Real-mode Boot Sector
    ---------------------
    identifier {fc9435eb-c123-11de-a8a2-a09f45c8592c}
    device partition=C:
    path \NTLDR
    description Microsoft Windows XP
    Last edited by craigconwater; October 27th, 2009 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Automagically-merged double-post.

Adding Disk Management Screenshot
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coolname007 View Post
    First of all, EasyBCD is correct. Your "system" "active" partition (C) is Win 7, and that is the partition that contains all the boot files for both systems. Don't keep playing around with the drive letter the XP entry in the BCD is pointing at. That will get you nowhere.
    boot.ini (the file which you can find in the root of the C: partition) is what points to the XP on E.

I suppose it could do no harm for you to go ahead, and post the contents of the boot.ini.
    Before you will be able to see it though, you will need to show hidden files and folders, and unhide protected system files in the Folder Options in the Control Panel.
    It could be Easy made a mistake, and made the boot.ini point at the wrong HDD (your storage one, for example)...

@Terry: His clone XP was upgraded to Win 7, he said, so that means he only has one XP (not 2).
    I went through looking for the boot.ini file. Must be different way of locating it in WIN7. Did the whole, see hidden files, run: sysdm.cpl, and can't edit or copy it for that matter. Where is it in WIN7?

EasyBCD -> Tools -> Edit Legacy Entries.

As I said before Craig, master just means disk0.
    It follows that you can't jumper two disk0s on the same channel without causing a error.
    When I used to use IDE drives, I jumpered everything as "cable select". That way you can't make mistakes. The device takes its identity (0/1) from the connector you use (black/grey) and you can move things around without needing to rejumper everything.
    The E61 message concerns me.
    Do you have a spare 80 strand IDE cable you can try, in case the error is purely one of the physical connection being bad.
    (you can always try swapping the 2 IDE cables and see if the problem moves to the other channel with the cable)
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Terry,

Took off all the jumpers, and set them all to cable select, and made all the drives on the primary IDE "cable select".

Started WIN7, ran EASYBCD, deleted old XP, added new XP with auto-select. Restart and got the same error trying to boot winXP:
    "A Disk Read Error Has Occurred... cntrl-alt-delete to reboot"

Does it matter that I have Windows.old still in the C drive? Because this was an upgrade of WIN7 from XP. Is that a possible source? I just keep thinking that the old XP on E drive is not getting selected by EasyBCD. It keeps auto-chosing C drive to boot XP.

Thanks for all the help Terry and others....

Justin - I would try EasyBCD -> Tools -> Edit Legacy Entries.... but I don't like messing with stuff I don't know what I am doing. Can you elaborate? What do I change exactly?

Addendum:

And, it is still defaulting to C drive when I am trying to boot XP on E drive.
    Last edited by craigconwater; October 28th, 2009 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Just clarifying what i did