Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [TUTORIAL] Creating NeoSmart recovery discs on the go

Default [TUTORIAL] Creating NeoSmart recovery discs on the go

Our recovery discs provide an excellent way to recover a non-booting system if you don’t happen to have Windows boot media, but what if you’re one of those unfortunate cases that don’t have access to another private computer to obtain and use to burn the recovery discs you may need? In this tutorial I’ll go over the process of obtaining our recovery discs and burning them to disc in an environment where you may not have the administrative rights to install applications such as uTorrent, ImgBurn, or 7-zip needed to download and create the recovery disc.
    1. You well need the following:
    a. ImgBurn (http://imgburn.com) (Older Portable version here)
    b. 7-zip Portable (http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/7-zip_portable)
    c. uTorrent Portable (http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/utorrent_portable)
    d. The correct torrent file for your operating system. See here and here to download.
    e. A blank CD-R. No CD-RWs!
    2. Next, extract 7-zip and uTorrent by starting their installers. The portable app installers shouldn’t require administrative rights on the computer.

3. Now to make ImgBurn portable:
    a. Start up 7-zip and browse to where ImgBurn’s installer is. Single click it so it is selected before hitting the “Extract” button in 7-zip’s toolbar. Follow on screen instructions to extract ImgBurn’s files to where you would like to store them.
    b. In ImgBurn’s directory, create a new file called “ImgBurn.ini”. You don’t need to add anything to it. Make sure there is no .txt extension at the end of it. You can do this using Notepad or by right-clicking and using Explorer’s new text document and rename file features.
    4. At this point you are ready to download the correct ISO for your operating system. Start up uTorrent and go to File -> Add Torrent. You than navigate to the *.torrent file you downloaded from our website earlier and have uTorrent download it.

5. The final step in creating the recovery disc is actually burning it to disc. ImgBurn well take the *.ISO file you have downloaded and do this for you with the “Write image file to disc” mode. For screenshots and detailed click by click instructions see our article on ImgBurn here.
    For instructions for using our recovery discs see here. Please also remember that our recovery discs contain absolutely NO installation files what so ever. The only functional part of the disc is the “Repair my computer” link that takes you into the Windows environment needed to recover a non-booting Windows system.

Should you have any questions don’t hesitate to start a new thread in the appropriate forum. Thank you.
    Last edited by Mak 2.0; December 6th, 2009 at 09:27 AM. Reason: added portable version

Neat tutorial.
    But I don't understand why you need to create a blank ImgBurn.ini file.

The DARK knight. The knight of DARKNESS.
    SHADOW
    killer. The NINJA, master of darkness, stealth and invisibility.
    Jake Johnson

Having dual-booting problems? Have a read of the following links to help you better accomplish your goal:

1. PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING WITH A PROBLEM | 2. Steps for Multibooting | 3. Multibooters - Understanding the Multiboot Process

Quote Originally Posted by Coolname007 View Post
    I don't understand why you need to create a blank ImgBurn.ini file.
    This:

Quote Originally Posted by kairozamorro View Post
    3. Now to make ImgBurn portable:

Ok...
    So how does it make it portable?

SHADOW
    Jake Johnson

Having dual-booting problems? Have a read of the following links to help you better accomplish your goal:

1. PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING WITH A PROBLEM | 2. Steps for Multibooting | 3. Multibooters - Understanding the Multiboot Process

The presence of the ini file makes it load/store the settings locally instead of on the system.
    Mahmoud Al-Qudsi, Director

I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages

Follow us on twitter @neosmart or on Facebook!
    Like us on facebook!

Ahh...ok. Thanks, I didn't know that.

SHADOW
    Jake Johnson

Exactly. Seeing as its not your computer you wouldn't want to leave any traces behind if you can help it.

Great guide but 1 question. Wouldnt using something like InfraRecorder which already is portable do the same thing without all the hassle? Thanks for the info on Imgburn but i have used this before and it does a good job.
    ~Alex~ .:Forum Moderator:..:Guinea Pig for Testing:.
    I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my Spaces page! .
    This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object.

All your posts are belong to NeoSmart!!

I used ImgBurn in the instructions since thats what we often recommend. I've had some problems with InfraRecorder as well as CDBurnerXP too in the past incorrectly burning and wasting discs. I haven't had any problems with ImgBurn. ImgBurn (~2mb) is also smaller than InfraRecorder (~11mb) and doesn't rely on cdrtools. I think ImgBurn does a much better job and it definetly has a wider range of options, but InfraRecorders fine too if you like it.
    Last edited by JustinW; November 28th, 2009 at 08:52 PM.

Okay. Thanks for the info. It was just a simple question. As that is offered by Portableapps.com i figured it might be easier to use.

You've got a point. Having that wouldn't require that you go get 7-zip, though doing a search reveals you can obtain ImgBurn in portable form without the hassles from places like Softpedia. If you could fix the post though so its included...

Well the sad part is that the version on Softpedia hasnt caught up yet. It is only 2.4.4 on Softpedia when they are on version 2.5 now. If you wish to rar it up and upload it to mediafire or something i can add it.

There is also information on their site how ot make it portable as well.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=9696
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=9991

Those might be of use as well.

Doesn't Windows 7 finally come with an ISO burner?
    Mahmoud Al-Qudsi, Director

I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages

Follow us on twitter @neosmart or on Facebook!
    Like us on facebook!

Yes it does (but I haven't tried it yet)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Please keep requests for help in the forums where everyone can see them, not in Private Messages.
    Posting a plea for help or information in the forum, will be seen more quickly by a widely experienced audience.
    A solution in the forum could also be useful to other future visitors, so PLEASE, no private requests. (they won't be answered !)

About time