Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EasyBC 2.0.0.79 Works but not with Hide N Seek

Default EasyBC 2.0.0.79 Works but not with Hide N Seek

I use to have Windows 7, XP and Ubuntu installed on separate hard drives. I got a larger hard drive and moved the Win 7 Ultimate partition followed by the XP partition on to the new hard drive. For now Ubuntu hard drive is disconnected. Using EasyBCD 2.0.079 I am able to boot between Windows7 and XP, however the Windows7 partition is showing up as my D: drive causing applications that I have installed on the real D: partition in XP not to work.

I have installed Hide N' Seek, removed XP entry in EasyBCD and in Hide N' Seek indicated the Win7 partition as Vista and XP one as XP. I can boot into Win7 but when I try to boot XP I get the error
    ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt

Is there any way of using Hide N' Seek to hide the Win7 when I am in XP and be able to boot XP?
    Last edited by frustrated999; February 7th, 2010 at 09:00 PM.

Are you saying that XP used to think of itself as D:\ and now you've cloned it to a new place it thinks of itself as a different letter ?
    If so, this is not a problem to be solved by fiddling with the boot. You've got to fix the OS so it resumes using the letter it was when you installed it, before you moved it.
    Have a read of this
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Please keep requests for help in the forums where everyone can see them, not in Private Messages.
    Posting a plea for help or information in the forum, will be seen more quickly by a widely experienced audience.
    A solution in the forum could also be useful to other future visitors, so PLEASE, no private requests. (they won't be answered !)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry60 View Post
    Are you saying that XP used to think of itself as D:\ and now you've cloned it to a new place it thinks of itself as a different letter ?
    If so, this is not a problem to be solved by fiddling with the boot. You've got to fix the OS so it resumes using the letter it was when you installed it, before you moved it.
    Have a read of this

Sorry no when Windows was on its separate hard drive, XP was C: drive and the D: partition was a logical partion in which I installed my XP applications. Now with moving the O/S s to one hard drive Windows7 boot partion is D: and the previous D: is now E: causing those installed programs not to work.

In that case, just change them in Disk Managment back the way you want them.
    Windows sets letters dynamically at boot depending on the detection sequence.
    If you move things, the sequence (and the letters) change, but they're only registry entries.
    It's good practice with a new OS to set all device letters yourself in DM.
    Once you do that, they won't change if the detection sequence does.
    The UID of the device or partition is permanently linked in the registry entry.
    Last edited by Terry60; February 7th, 2010 at 09:35 PM.
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Please keep requests for help in the forums where everyone can see them, not in Private Messages.
    Posting a plea for help or information in the forum, will be seen more quickly by a widely experienced audience.
    A solution in the forum could also be useful to other future visitors, so PLEASE, no private requests. (they won't be answered !)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry60 View Post
    In that case, just change them in Disk Managment back the way you want them.
    Windows sets letters dynamically at boot depending on the detection sequence.
    If you move things, the sequence (and the letters) change, but they're only registry entries.
    It's good practice with a new OS to set all device letters yourself in DM.
    Once you do that, they won't change if the detection sequence does.
    The UID of the device or partition is permanently linked in the registry entry.
    Disk Management will not allow me to change the Drive letter (D of the WIndows7 partition when I am in Windows XP. It tells me that I can not change the drive letter for a bootable partition.

Terry, I think he needs that magic TechNet link you have that forces a change of the boot drive letter?

I can never find it myself!
    Mahmoud Al-Qudsi, Director

I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages

Follow us on twitter @neosmart or on Facebook!
    Like us on facebook!

Yes, after I logged off (while I was brushing my teeth, if you wan't the full detail), I thought "B*gger! his W7 is probably "system" - He'll need to force it in the registry")
    You'll need to do it like this.
    Don't slavishly follow the instructions though. It's not XP you want to change. Use the same technique to change E to D and D to whatever XP used to call W7.
    Then use this hack to stop XP from seeing W7 (to protect its restore points)
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

lol... And I think there was another thread today with a similar issue, but I'm not sure?

RE brushing teeth: it's soooooo hard to not make a mess of yourself if you have a beard

I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages

Like us on facebook!

CG. I use a splendid Vista/W7 Gadget "Clipboard Manager", which keeps up to 1000 cut/copy entries (including pictures) across boots, and has a "favourites" function where you can label your 100 most used.
    That's how I can always find these useful links.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Interesting! Do you have a link?

I cannot code without ClipX which is a no-frills clipboard manager.
    You just hit ctrl+shift+v and a pop-up menu (just like the plain right-click context menu) comes up with the list of your last copies (persistent across boots as well).

I *just* checked and it seems that it supports "sticky entries" that I should be able to put good use like what you've done.

ClipX

Like us on facebook!

Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Thanks.

Like us on facebook!

Ok so both the KB223188 and the Vistaforums mods are done afterI have booted into XP. The result will be to hide D: which in my case is Windows7 and fix the restore point deletion. This means that I only have to use EasyBCD in Windows7 and I can uninstall Hide N' Seek.

If that "offline" registry hack works for you (you cant open folders or files on W7 from XP Explorer), then you don't need HnS. It's for people like me, with a configuration that didn't respond to the registry hack.
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Ah, perhaps I need a clipboard manager. I've been copying links from my bookmarks