Page 46 of 69 FirstFirst ... 364344454647484956 ... LastLast

Thread: The Introduction Thread

Click on "members", sort on "posts" and scroll down. You'll see the rankings and the change points.
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Please keep requests for help in the forums where everyone can see them, not in Private Messages.
    Posting a plea for help or information in the forum, will be seen more quickly by a widely experienced audience.
    A solution in the forum could also be useful to other future visitors, so PLEASE, no private requests. (they won't be answered !)

Default newbie

Hi all,

I am new here and yess I have a cry for help right now. I hope people can help me now and hopefully I will be able to help other people in the future.

See you around

Welcome to the forums, Sungsam

Addendum:

... and, Jim, I must have spent 5 minutes laughing after reading your post at 2am...
    Last edited by Computer Guru; May 9th, 2011 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Automagically-merged double-post.
    Mahmoud Al-Qudsi, Director

I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages

Follow us on twitter @neosmart or on Facebook!
    Like us on facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Computer Guru View Post
    Addendum:

... and, Jim, I must have spent 5 minutes laughing after reading your post at 2am...
    @Guru:

That's the whole idea.

Seriously now, If I can't make at least ONE person crack a smile, or laugh, in the course of the day, I feel like I shoulda' never got outta' bed.

Life is much too serious, what with all the Horse Hooey going on in Washington, the Middle East, India, Pakistan, (etc.), that if we don't get a chance to laugh - we're severely doomed.

p.s. My latest project is using 2k8Server-R2 with HyperV to help migrate another server to 2k8-R2. As handy as EasyBCD is on "real" hardware, it's worth it's weight in Royal Wedding Cake when used in a virtual environment. It makes binding and un-binding particular virtual disks to particular virtual machines almost child's play.

And it would be child's play if I could convince my fingers to actually hit the key I was aiming for!!!!

What say ye?

Jim

Addendum:

Quote Originally Posted by Terry60 View Post
    Click on "members", sort on "posts" and scroll down. You'll see the rankings and the change points.
    Did that. And boy was that depressing. . . . .

I guess with my measly 12-or-some-odd posts, I rate as P.O.S., Rank Newbie, or "He's only in it for the Beer."

I cannot even imagine getting to the 300,000 gazillion postings needed to become even a polka-dotted wizard, let alone the Platinum, encrusted with diamonds, rubies and emeralds wizard that some of you folks are.

Maybe what I need to do is get myself an avatar that looks like it came out of a bad science-fiction movie, like Ex-Brit's!

P. S. @ Ex-Brit. I'm in Worcester MA. Maybe we should get together at a Neutral Pub sometime soon? Then you can tell me how absolutely GHASTLY the "yank" version of Guinness is over here. If it's anything like the "American" version of Baltica #7 (A Russian beer that I think is actually DRINKABLE), it should probably be on the EPA's Superfund List as Toxic Waste.

Baltica #7, in Russia, is actually a decent beer. (And coming from a long-time beer-hater, that's saying something!) Over here, that's a horse of an entirely different hue. It's incredibly bitter by comparison, and tastes absolutely foul into the bargain. Though watching the tadpoles swimming amongst the algae looked interesting. . . .

What say ye?

Jim
    Last edited by jharris1993; May 12th, 2011 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Automagically-merged double-post.

Nice thought but I don't travel well at the moment - just getting over an illness. Thanks anyway. We get genuine Irish Guinness here and the local beer is good - Molson Canadian + 100's of assorted brands & imports of course, but it's been a while since I ventured to the pub, I hate to say.

Toronto, Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    Vista Ult SP2, Win 7 Ult SP1, Win 8.1 Pro w/MC, all x64

Hello...
    Been doing the IT stuff for 26 years. My last job my title was Sr. Network Analyst..which ment I was project manager for all items dealing with communications from port on the wall to connection to the server. This could include anything from Cat6 to fiber optics to wireless.
    Looking for a place that when I have pc issues I have a resource..

Rick Harvey

Hey Rick, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

We're glad to have you on board, whether you can help us or we can help you
    Mahmoud Al-Qudsi, Director

I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages

Follow us on twitter @neosmart or on Facebook!
    Like us on facebook!

Greetings:

My experience is mainly in hardware, mostly electronics & industrial controls, but I also enjoy computer tweaking which resulted in my infatuation with Linux distros. And that's what brought me here: I was referred to this site by another computer help forum when I sought help removing a Linux version that I didn't like from my HD which also contains Win7. Regards.
    Dave

can any 1 tell me how to post new thread here ?????

Just go to the section you want and look for the New Thread button at the top left as in the attached picture. (Click to enlarge)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Toronto, Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    Vista Ult SP2, Win 7 Ult SP1, Win 8.1 Pro w/MC, all x64

Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Please keep requests for help in the forums where everyone can see them, not in Private Messages.
    Posting a plea for help or information in the forum, will be seen more quickly by a widely experienced audience.
    A solution in the forum could also be useful to other future visitors, so PLEASE, no private requests. (they won't be answered !)

Hello everyone my name is james31211 I paid 9.75 to dwnload the vista recovery disk but can't seem to do anything with it, how do I burn it to a cd or dvd, i've tried everything....

It's free as a torrent, but if you got it from here or another source just burn the entire download to a CD.
    Don't do anything to it first.
    It isn't a zip or a rar file that needs to be unpacked.
    If your system leads you to believe it is, then you've probably got it set up incorrectly with the true filetype invisible, and the ISO association taken over by something like Winrar.
    Set your folder options like this, and just burn it as an ISO directly with the W7 burner if you have W7.
    Vista cannot burn ISOs so get yourself a free copy of Imgburn and use that. It works fine.
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

@Terry60,
    If you're sixty (Terry60), then *I* must be ancient! (jharris1993)

@James,
    Let me amplify hat Terry said a little bit:

An "ISO" (. . . .-dot-iso) is an *image* of a CD or DVD, where every single sector is read, starting at sector 1, going all the way to the last sector of the disk - as if it were a gigantic file - one sector at a time. It's not just the data, it's all the metadata, disk structure, VTOC, etc. etc. etc. - along with all the data on the disk.

To "burn" an ISO, you need a burning program that knows the special method to burn an ISO. I use CDBurnerXP (freeware) which - despite it's name - works wonderfully on Vista/7. I am also sure that Terry's suggestion is also excellent. Both of these programs will allow you to:

• Burn an Audio Disk
    • Burn a Data Disk
    • Burn an ISO image

You want to select "Burn an ISO image", and then select this particular file. Pop in some blank media and then burn away!

Some programs also allow you to "Create an ISO image" - this is the WRONG choice - do not pick it by mistake.

If the file is less than 700 megs in size, burn the ISO to a CD. If it's larger than 700 megs, burn it to a DVD.

By the way, the term "ISO" comes from the designation "ISO-9660" which was the original format for CD's standardized in the 80's. The group that standardized this format was the International Standards Organization, hence "ISO". Nowadays there are a number of standards other than ISO - Joliet for "Microsoft" format CD's, HPFS for Mac format, and DVD's have a format all their own. But the images of all these different formats are still called "ISO's".

BTW, it's really not necessary to change the file association - so long as you select the correct file with your burning software, and tell it to burn it as an ISO image. However if you do decide to change it, it might make it a little easier to burn - depending on the software you use.

What say ye?

Jim.

Hi,48 year old whos been building his own rigs since the days of my first dx120

thought i knew it all...but turns out i know feck all..

hoping to fill in the gaps by sucking the info out of this forum