How to dual-boot Ubuntu 10.04 and Fedora 14?

Pillars of Creation

Distinguished Member
How to dual-boot Ubuntu 10.04 and Red Hat Fedora 14?

My setup is a single 1 TB drive with two primary partitions. The first one is a hidden boot partition for Windows seven (100 MB) and the second one is a 55 GB partition for Windows seven. Then I have an extended partition. Then I have two 18 GB partitions for Windows XP one and two. Then I am a 10 GB partition for Ubuntu. Easy BCD multi-boots these OS’s just fine.
:ldown:
I would like to put Fedora in the next 10 GB partition a multi-blue all the OS. I figured I would have to use grub-2 as a second boot menu to handle the two Linux distributions.

question

i am new to linux in general, but in the process to getting to get experience on it.
i am trying to dual boot fedora and ubuntu... so far installed both of them and have the option to pick, however, only fedora loads but ubuntu does not.
i read your post on how they need to have both the same grub but not sure how to go about it.. i know you listed some steps, but since i am fairly new on linux, would you mind to post more details steps. thanks.

Perphecto,

Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 both use Grub 2 while Fedora 14 users Grub 1.

The installation process for Ubuntu 10.X and Fedora 14 are going to be completely different and unrelated except for the fact that they can use the same swapfile at the end of a hard disk.

For the Ubuntu 10.04 install you’re going to want to install the boot loader to the MBR of the hard disk. Then you’re going to chain load the Windows 7/Vista boot loader controlled by Easy BCD and the Grub 2 boot loader.

For the Fedora install you want to install the Grub-1 or Grub Legacy boot loader to the partition on which you are installing Fedora 14 to. Then follow the steps I listed above on how to add a boot option for Fedora 14 to Easy BCD.

The specific steps for installing Fedora 14 are as follows:

Select basic storage devices. Select drive, next. At the prompt, “which type of installation would you like” select “create custom layout”.

Select the partition. Click create. Click create. Assign mount points as “/”. Click okay.

Delete the partition, then create.

After you get the installation to accept a partition, you get the option to install the boot loader. Install to the first sector of the boot partition. Note do not install to the MBR.

Click on change device, select the radio button “first sector a boot partition”.

Here are the directions on how to install Ubuntu:

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Ubuntu

Really neither the Ubuntu install or the Fedora install are particularly difficult. The difficulty right now between Grub 2 and Easy BCD is that with Grub 2 doesn’t seem to be possible to install Grub 2 to a particular partition. By chain loading the two boot loaders and setting the time to load in Grub 2 to zero, there isn’t much of a problem unless one wants to boot into more than one Ubuntu. Then you have to deal with both boot loaders.

Adding Linux distributions that use Grub 1 is very simple in Easy BCD. Just remember not to install the boot loader to the MBR.

Back