Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win7: BOOTMGR is missing, and can't detect OS when selecting OS to repair

Exclamation Win7: BOOTMGR is missing, and can't detect OS when selecting OS to repair

Hi

I en
    countered this problem after I attempted to change my partition's free space to unallocated space, using Partition Magic. I realised only now that it is not working anymore, but it's too late.

I am using a HP Pavilion dv4. The Factory OS is Windows Vista, but I upgraded it to Windows 7 about 1.5 years ago, and it's been working fine. After the darned incident above, my laptop had missing drives. I tried rebooting to see if it would restore the drives, but apparently, I started receiving the message "BOOTMGR is missing".

I've searched online trying to resolve this problem, and it seems that the Windows 7 Installation CD was highly recommended to solve this issue. I used the CD to try and repair, but apparently there was no OS listed. I tried clicking Next anyway, and attempted to Auto Repair. Unfortunately for me, it didn't work.

I read up on this page: http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBC...r+from+the+DVD, and tried working on the 3 methods. It all didn't work for me.

For option 2, while attempting to bootrec /rebuildbcd, it prompts an Add installation to boot list? Yes(Y)/No(N)/All(A): message. Whichever choice I entered, it ended up with The system cannot find the path specified.

For option 3, nuclear holocaust, I got stuck at
    bcdedit.exe /import c:\boot\bcd.temp which resulted The store import operation has failed. The system cannot find the path specified.

I am really confused now on what I should do. Anyone has any idea how to resolve this?!?! Help is very much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by iJump; February 25th, 2012 at 02:41 AM.

If you have multiple HDDs, disconnect the others and try the "startup repair" again.
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Please keep requests for help in the forums where everyone can see them, not in Private Messages.
    Posting a plea for help or information in the forum, will be seen more quickly by a widely experienced audience.
    A solution in the forum could also be useful to other future visitors, so PLEASE, no private requests. (they won't be answered !)

I disconnected all my USBs, except for my mouse.

while using Startup Repair, I got this: Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically and recommends that I send information about this problem.
    Upon showing the problem, the Problem Event Name is StartupRepairOffline (not sure if this helps).

After sending, another window shows it's loading for a bit, and then it disappears without any other feedback. I then Viewed diagnostics and repair details and saw this:

Root cause found:
    -----------------------------
    System volume on disk is corrupt.

Repair action: File system repair (chkdsk)
    Result: Failed. Error code = 0x3
    Time taken = 0 ms

I then click on Finish and restarted my laptop, but the problem still exists

*Note: My OS was still not detected, and I clicked on Next without selecting any OS.

That error message is saying that the partitions are messed up. You need to either do a factory reset on the laptop or reinstall Windows yourself. A startup repair will not fix this issue for you.
    ~Alex~ .:Forum Moderator:..:Guinea Pig for Testing:.
    I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my Spaces page! .
    This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object.

All your posts are belong to NeoSmart!!

I can't boot up my laptop at all because the BOOTMGR is missing - does that mean there's no other way I can reinstall my Windows?

I still wish to try and save my 2 of my drives that can't be detected or accessed. I heard a software TestDisk is able to restore it. I need the files inside.
    will loading the right driver list my OS? maybe the nuclear holocaust method will be able to save it then. if so, how do I know which driver to load?

this is ridiculous; Partition Magic screwed up my whole laptop!

Check which partition is marked "active"
    Maybe the flag got moved or deleted when you were doing things with Partition Magic.
    Either W7 (or a small partition named "System Reserved" depending on how you installed W7) should be active for the repair to locate it.
    You should be able to access factory reset with F11 at power-up on HP (iirc), which will take you back to Vista most likely, and then re-upgrade to W7 (if the HDD is truly borked).
    Rescue user data first
    Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

Please keep requests for help in the forums where everyone can see them, not in Private Messages.
    Posting a plea for help or information in the forum, will be seen more quickly by a widely experienced audience.
    A solution in the forum could also be useful to other future visitors, so PLEASE, no private requests. (they won't be answered !)

how do I check if it's marked active? I can't get to the desktop, so there's very limited stuff I can do.

I tried creating a Windows 7 System Repair Disc from my brother's laptop, and booted it on my laptop. currently, I am able to select a restore point, but it does not allow me to select the C: Drive. It reads You must enable System Protection on this drive. Is there any way to enable it using only command prompt? because I can't access the desktop at all.

Thank you guys for your answers, by the way, I really appreciate them.

Addendum:

just an update:
    I followed the steps listed here - http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-re...tml#post409456

after modifying the registry it's still not working. I see many people's problem was solved using that method but mine wasn't. I hope I wasn't doing something wrong there... is the .bak files supposed to be recent in date (24th Feb 2012 on mine)? and those without extension to be pretty old (year 2010 on mine)?

also, I tried using GParted Live. not really sure how to use it, but when it started up, it shows an unallocated space of 298 GB (which is pretty much my whole hard disk's space, I believe), and nothing else. it's as if there isn't any drive that's allocated at all.

I'm now hoping I can do a system restore to before I installed Partition Magic, but I need to resolve the "Enable System Protection on this drive" issue first. any solutions??
    Last edited by iJump; February 26th, 2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Automagically-merged double-post.

I've had problems in the past with GParted not seeing Windows partitions that were visible with other software.
    Try the free
    Partition Wizard Bootable CD allows user to boot computer directly to manage partition..
    That will show you the active partition, and let you reset it if necessary.
    If it doesn't find your Windows partition either, then Mak's assessment that your HDD is screwed and you need to factory reset looks pretty much on the money.
    You can try
    TestDisk Download - CGSecurity
    to find and "undelete" partitions.
    If that doesn't help, then it's time to factory reset the PC.
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

once again, thank you for your answers. I can imagine how hard it is to try to help us when you can't physically see the thing.

I tried the TestDisk; it seems to have recovered my lost drives, and the "BOOTMGR is missing" message no longer shows up. However, after the "Starting Windows" screen, it auto-restarts before it could reach the desktop. it keeps repeating, so right now I still can't boot up properly.

got this message now while performing Startup Repair:

Root cause found:
    ----------------------------------
    Failure while setup is in progress.

any idea what's causing this? in the meantime, I'll still be trying to recover. thanks again for the support!
    Last edited by iJump; February 27th, 2012 at 05:38 AM.

Tap F8 repeatedly after the BIOS splash screen to access the extended boot menu, and then select the "no automatic restart" option.
    The BSOD should then wait with the stop code visible instead of looping continuously.
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

hitting the F8 has no effect. I don't seem to have an extended boot menu...

Keep trying. If you are back in contact with the boot manager, it has an extended boot menu, but reaching it is a matter of interrupting the program at precisely the correct moment. Keep tapping.
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

alright, did what you told me to, here's the BSOD message:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
    The initial session process or system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000000 (0xc0000001 0x00100848).
    The system has been shut down.

Yet more evidence that your HDD is fatally compromised.
    You're in the situation that I had last year with Vista, when it failed on a 100% good HDD when it wasn't even booted. I went down the chkdsk -Testdisk- repair route and identified various corrupt modules that prevented the kernel from loading (as yours won't).
    I did it, over a period of weeks, (Vista is unimportant to me, so it was just an academic exercise in attempted rescue in spare moments between using W7) but every time I fixed one problem, it led inevitably to a new failure further down the long long chain of events which are ultimately supposed to result in a usable desktop.
    Time to cut your losses, rescue your user files from the partition Testdisk restored for you, and start the factory reset.
    Terry

Baker of fine scones.

I ended up reinstalling Windows 7 after I managed to recover the disk using TestDisk. Had to reinstall my programs, so it was kinda like a reformat.

it's up and running now. thank you so much for your support!