2 Primary Partitions

IVaN_000

I have 2 primary NTFS partitions: WXP and WVISTA, each one with his own independent OS. To select the active partition I go to [My ]Computer, Manage, Disk Management, <partition>, Mark partition as active.

WXP has Windows XP installed, has its own boot.ini with a reference to multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1). When I boot to Windows XP, this partition is known as C: drive, and WVISTA is D: drive.

WVISTA has Vista RTM installed, a Boot folder, a bootmgr file, amongst others. When running this Windows, WVISTA is C: drive, and WXP is D: drive.

If they were both Windows XP, to make a boot menu I could keep one partition active, and add these entries in its boot.ini:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP 1"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP 2"

Is it possible to do this kind of menu with EasyBCD? When I add an entry for Windows XP, EasyBCD asks me for a drive letter, instead of a partition number. That doesn’t make sense to me, as drive letters are assigned by the OS when it loads. The easy solution to my need would be to install a boot manager like Norton BootMagic to set the active partition at boot time, but I just want to know if BCD can do that.

By the way, is NeoGrub a boot manager? I mean, does it reside in the MBR, or in the partition boot sector?

Sorry for my poor English

EasyBCD at the moment can't set the active boot partition, but that's an excellent idea - will most certainly be implemented soon!!!

Welcome to NeoSmart Technologies btw :smile:

EasyBCD requires that you enter the *current* drive letter of your Windows XP drive - you don't need to do anything more. It'll automatically convert the current drive letter to the correct drive &amp; partition numbers without trouble.

But there is a catch: you must put the drive letter of the drive with Boot.ini and NTLDR - even if XP isn't installed there.

Good luck!

Back