64-bit version of a little app

tuxplorer

How did NeoSmart create a 64-bit version of TweakUI? Similarly, can you create a 64-bit version of this essential tool I use on Windows 7 called Network Activity Indicator: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Network-Information/Network-Activity-Indicator.shtml The author's site appears to be down and he refuses to port it to 64-bit. Because of it being 32-bit only, the IPv4 and IPv6 Properties buttons are greyed out on 64-bit Windows 7/Vista. I will be very grateful if you can "port" it to 64-bit.

Hi,
I expect that the code can be modified to be x64 but, unless the author has placed the code in the public domain or provides written permission for someone else to do it you're looking at a criminal offense. The author owns that property and can collect damages from the unauthorized use or modification of the work.

Was the PowerToys code played in the public domain? Was it reverse engineered and ported to 64-bit or a Neosmart created a perfect clone of the 32-bit version?

The PowerToys was a special case. PowerToys were not part of any official Microsoft release and they were done and cared for by individual programmers that worked for Microsoft only released by them cause they were commonly asked for programs. They fell under the Microsoft EULA, but with permission of the creator of the programs modifications could be made. NeoSmart has worked with Microsoft on many occasions to do what we have done and as such have not been sought after cause of the tools and products we release. We have been in contact with the various owners of the PowerToys and have had permission to do what we have done. In order for us to do what you want, would require NeoSmart to contact the owner of the product and from there get permission to modify the tool as requested.

We at NeoSmart are not about stealing others work and modfying it. Everything we do and have done has been with permission or within legal rights to do. We were requested once upon a time to remove our Recovery Software until we got an agreement setup with Microsoft, which we did. Once of the few sites to have a real agreement with Microsoft to not only host the tools but make a modified version of them for our needs.

So no, NeoSmart will not just get the software and modify it without permission. The program is not listed as open source so permission will be needed.

That Network Activity Indicator download states that it's compatible with x64 Win 7. The product page says if you are having issues with it to email support@itsamples.com - not sure if that's the author or not.

Edit: yes that's the email for the software maker.

Last edited:
And I am not saying steal the author's work either, I never said that. I thought Neosmart reverse engineered the PowerToys (and reverse engineering is legal AFAIK). I didn't know NeoSmart worked with Microsoft (or the developers of the PowerToys) to re-create the powertoys. :smile: Consider this request cancelled. Of course, I have tried contacting the author of NAA many times but his site appears to be down and he doesn't reply any more.

On another note, I know the re-created powertoys were lost in a server crash but whichever PowerToys make sense for modern versions of Windows should be created again. They were always very much in-demand. I came to know about them *after* the server crash. I managed to recover many of them using Internet Archive.

Last edited:
Back