Android in quad-boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey guys! I have a problem... I want to install Android on my triple booting system, and I want android to be installed on a separate drive. I have gone through the installation to make sure that it's compatible, but I don't know where which option I should pick in EasyBCD. Should it be under GRUB or what? and under what section, like Unix, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I don't know - I haven't tried it and I don't think anyone here has either.
Find out what it uses and we'll be happy to help you get it running.

OS X86 Project uses a very old version of Android. Pre 2.1 builds. There is nothing from Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich that is part of the Android X86 project and installing Android on a PC using this project should be done with this in mind. It is done with a very insecure and very buggy version of Android and there is no way to force the newer builds onto a PC since it isnt designed to be used with that chip base.

So yes while it can be done, it should be done with caution and knowing you are using a very insecure and non-flash supported version. This may change now that ICS has had its source code released, but to date nothing out there is capable of running on anything but ARM chips and mobile processors.

That being said, as Mahmoud said, Android uses it own specific bootloader which is not part of EasyBCD at this time. There is no way for us to tell you which setting to use cause we dont have support for their boot loader.

Thanks for clearing that up, Alex. I'm afraid I'm out of touch with the whole Android scene.

I still believe it's possible with EasyBCD's NeoGrub, without having to release a new version.... though it would complicated, to say the least.

http://www.android-x86.org/

Well from what I see they are just starting to work with Gingerbread now. It has been a while since I checked their site. But from what I see they are in a Release Candidate stage of Gingerbread for x86. The main thing to note is this:

[h=1]Tested platforms[/h]The tests are done by the project members and others from android-porting group.
  • ASUS Eee PCs/Laptops
  • Viewsonic Viewpad 10
  • Dell Inspiron Mini Duo
  • Samsung Q1U
  • Viliv S5
  • Lenovo ThinkPad x61 Tablet
Most of the models can run the native resolutions via i915 driver. Thanks to the kernel mode setting (kms) feature introduced since kernel 2.6.29.

There are very few fully supported devices. Look down further and you see this:

[h=1]Development (2011/01)[/h][h=2]What we are working on now[/h]
  • Port Gingerbread to x86 (gingerbread-x86 branch)
  • OpenGL hardware accelerator for SandyBridge platform (olv, cwhuang)
  • New x86 toolchain (cwhuang)
  • Ethernet update (Yi)
  • New target sparta (Doug)
  • New target viewpad10 (Al Sutton)
  • New target viliv s5 (okwon)
  • Mplayer porting (okwon)
[h=2]To do list[/h]
  • support external monitor
  • better power management
  • multi-touch touchpad support
  • test out all default applications

TO Do: Support External Monitor? That is a biggie if you want to use this on a PC.

Overall the project is making progress, but it is far from being able to be installed and used on a PC flawlessly. That is even if it can be installed. For right now the best option is to just install BlueStacks and run various Android Apps via that on your PC. Or just use Chrome and the Web Apps.

Hello! I use EasyBCD for some time, but I'm a total noob in NeoGrub :smile: Could you write me a "ready to use" config for Android x86 3.2 RC ? I have a small partition (3GB) which I already instaled the Android, but it's bootloader sucked :wink: I wanted to get back to "windows" bootloader and I did it with EasyBCD. But I can't add Android now (it never works)! Please write back soon! Best wishes

Bluestacks beta works well enough on W7 32 and 64 bit HP. Although some of my phone apps need me to locate and load files, like my e-readers, and that has not so far been possible because the file system the app expects doesn't exist in the beta's structure AFAIK.

Not directly applicable to your question but peripherally maybe so.

Hello! I use EasyBCD for some time, but I'm a total noob in NeoGrub :smile: Could you write me a "ready to use" config for Android x86 3.2 RC ? I have a small partition (3GB) which I already instaled the Android, but it's bootloader sucked :wink: I wanted to get back to "windows" bootloader and I did it with EasyBCD. But I can't add Android now (it never works)! Please write back soon! Best wishes
I also want help to add Android to windows bootloader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back