Automated Repair - how long

Here is the whole story, Peter.

1. Ran the EasyRE automated repair. It got stuck right at the first step. I let it sit with the wheel turning for about 8 hours.
2. Reset and ran it again. This time it did quite well but got stuck at the Cleaning temporary files step.
3. Reset and ran it again. This time it completed and advised to start Windows normally. But Windows still couldn't start.
4. I inserted a regular Windows 7 repair disk created from another computer. It went through its process and completed successfully. Windows started.

What do you think happened? Should I have started the Windows repair disk before trying EasyRE? Or did EasyRE make the job easier for the Windows repair disk?

I'm no expert on EasyRE having never used it, but I do know that it is not a replacement for the Microsoft System Disc as it is restricted by copyright law, so some elements are not available. I see from other threads that sometimes running the disac several times can be helpful as can running a Startup Repair several times from a Windows System Disc. It appears you were lucky to hit on the right method in the end. Glad you are OK now.
I don't know the answer to that last question though. Maybe someone else with expertise will jump in here.

Back