BCD problem HELP

aislingean

I have an old toshiba laptop that has been updated to win 10 32 bit [1703 activated] the dvd/cd does not recognise data discs and the bios does not support boot from usb
I installed easy bcd annd installed the bios extender [PLOP]
The extended boot options did not appear at first and the machine booted from hdd as normal but when I rebooted I hit F2 to enter set up and instead got the boot loader It shows hdd1 and hdd2 cd drive and usb but it will not boot from hdd cd remains uncooperative and USB says no op sys
I have hooked up the HDD to this laptop [Win 10 64bit] as an external mass storage drive via USB
How do I remove the Plop
I cannot see any BCD files when i select store and the external E drive
I need to remove the bcd plop and rewrite the mbr
I am not very technical but hope I have explained my needs
Can someone please help?

I am in Scotland so I presume that there will be a time difference to overcome before anyone will be able to reply.We may talk tomorrow I hope!

Today is a new day
mounted the drive in another machine which has a cracked screen but works and has a more modern Bios.
Booted from usb with puppy on a stick.
Mounted the sda 1 and searched for a BCD file which I found in BOOT folder
I re-attached the drive to this machine as an external and adjusted the file view
In order to see the Boot folder you need to show 'Protected System' files as well as HIDDEN files
I was then able to remove PLOP via the BCD prog using 'bcdstore' and navigating to 'bios extender' tab which then showed the 'remove plop' option
So I now have win 10 back but still cannot boot from usb in the old toshiba machine which is destined to be a Linux machine and a test bed for Reactos with a dual boot system.
Windoze have screwed many of these old machines with their generic drivers that cause resource conflicts. The current PCMIA driver prevents much of the old hardware from operating and peppers the device manager with yellow flags. Disabling the PCMIA by renaming the .sys driver file restores use but I have not found any resolution to the optical drive not reading anything except commercial music or movie disks
I believe Windoze have a policy of making old machines appear obsolete so that they are replaced or perhaps their new generation programmers are just not as good as there predecessors !

I am a little disappointed at the lack of help from here but Hey ho I have learned a bit more and overcome a problem
I would like to know why the Bios Extender does not work with Win 10 on the older machines and suspect that it is down to bios type
I will continue to play with Easy BCD and hope that it will prove more useful in future

Last edited:
I am a little disappointed at the lack of help from here
This is a peer to peer forum.
Ignore the "staff" appellation. That's just an artefact of the forum software.
We're all just globally dispersed users, some of whom ( <.001%) volunteer answers to posed questions.
As someone who's answered a few, I was given moderator status a while back, but I'm still just a user like yourself.
I try to look in regularly, but I don't spend my life on the PC, so getting a speedy answer to a question here is very much a matter of luck of
whether anyone currently looking a) knows anything about your problem and b) is prepared to help.

I can answer "yes" to b), but I'm afraid your luck is out with a) as far as I'm concerned.
You might find more help in the archive of past questions/answers if you search the forum with some appropriately ploppy keywords.

The single user here who has any connection to Neosmart is the admin/owner/author Mqudsi, but as a recent first-time father, he's had a somewhat lower profile in the forums recently.

Back