"Can EasyBCD download, be made to bootable iso image/disc ??"

laughwu1

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } I have have much to learn re computers. I have damaged my w7 bootloader attempting to do a linux install & now can't boot.

My question is does the EasyBCD only work in an operating windows environment or is to possible to mount it as a bootable "iso image/disc" & then boot from it & do a repair/reinstall of your bootloader ??.

I have been down the "recovery disc" path. The auto repair fails, 2 restore points show but links fail & under CLI prompts to discover/repair, it shows "boot 0". With my limited knowledge, I presume that means because the bootloader has been damaged, it isn't showing & it isn't possible to go through the CLI prompts procedure to attempt a repair.

Hence my question re the EasyBCD download being used to create a bootable iso image/disc. I know how to burn an iso disc from an iso download but am unsure of what files to use, or how to go from a normal download as per EasyBCD, to an iso image/disc, if in fact this is possible, which I hope it is!!."

Also from what I have seen on the site, is it correct to say that with EasyBCD you can not only attempt a repair but also if necessary do a 'reinstall' of the bootloader ??.

Any feedback or answers to my query would be much appreciated !!.

No EasyBCD can't be mounted. It is to be used within the OS itself.

I see you said you tried the Recovery disk method. But you only mention 2 of the 4 steps we have listed on how to fix this.

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vista+Bootloader+from+the+DVD

We have instructions on how to completely rebuild the BCD. So at that point it wouldnt matter if it was damaged, as you would rebuild it. That might be worth looking into.

Thanks Mak 2.0 & further details

Thank you Mak 2.0 for your reply. At least now I know EasyBCD cannot be used as an bootable iso image/disc. Is it possible this could ever be done in the future, as would seem to make the program even more useful, or is this physically impossible, without a bootable windows system & the only way to gain access is through the "Recovery Disc".

Yes I have tried the steps using the "recovery disc". You may have read my post quickly but I said the auto recovery failed to work, I have 2 restore points showing but the links to those fail. I do have an external backup but is fair while ago so will loose a lot of work unfortunately, if I have to resort to that (my own fault I know !!). I have also tried manual restore, using command prompts.

I am completely new to CLI, but when I enter "bootrec.exe /fixmbr"or other "bootrec.exe" prompts it says successful, but always shows a line saying "boot 0" & the bootloader still fails to work. As I said in my first post, with my limited knowledge, I assume "boot 0" means, because the bootloader has been damaged it is not reaching it & I will not be able to use command prompts to repair it. Am I correct in saying that ??. I hope am wrong in this assumption but fear probably not unfortunately.

Assuming this is correct & I am unable to use command prompts to repair or delete & replace the bootloader, are there any other software programs or methods by which I may be able to repair or remove the damaged bootloader & replace it with a new one ??. I am aware of bootable recovery tools that allow you to do virus scans, partitioning tools & various other functions, but are there any for bootloaders ??. I will mention that I have used one of these, a partitioning tool just to look at the drive. My notebook is a HP & they set it up with the bootloader on a partition/drive titled "System" then of course they have "C Drive" & also two others the next being "recovery" & the last being "tools". These all show up but I am assuming the fact the bootloader partition under the name of "system" shows up, does not necessarily mean it is not damaged & possibly not recognized when trying to use the "disk recovery" method, is this correct ??.

I am sorry this post has become a little long, but thought if I give as much information as possible it may help, Mak 2.0 if you are able to reply or anyone else who may be kind enough to. Thanks in anticipation !!.

I did not read your post quickly. You said the auto repair. That is only 1 of 4 options. Using a Restore point is only option 2 of 4. There is still the option to rebuild the BCD completely. That is option 3 of 4. The last option is to completely erase the BCD and rebuilt it manually.

The option is bootsect.exe /fixmbr so that could easily be why it says it is complete when it isnt. Cause it should read boot 0 at all. That is not a valid boot entry.

Try using the bootsect.exe command and see if that helps.

As for the query about making EasyBCD bootable. Not going to happen. There is to much that has to happen. Cause the program has to know which drive is the boot drive, scan all drives and from there make the determination on how the changes should be made. If you dont boot into the system at all, then there is no way for the system to know which is the boot drive. So what one would think would be a simple edit to the boot loader could turn out bricking the system and not loading anything. Cause you changed the boot drive by accident. Windows is very picky about such things. It is for this reason why we have the program made like it is. Trying to force it to boot and figure this stuff out we might as well make a portable OS instead. We would have better luck.

Last edited:
Thanks Mark 2.0

Thanks very much Mark 2.0 for your detailed reply & help. Sorry I am a little late posting this reply as had not checked for a few days. I took the computer to a retail shop & paid to have the bootloader done, the day after my last post, so have it working now thank you.

In response to your reply I did try step 3 as outlined on the site & also step 4. I tried the bootsect.exe /fixmbr prompt & if I remember there were 3 others, one was scannow type command etc & they all said successfull but showed "boot 0" & I pasted the commands of the website so I had them correct. I tried the last step remove & replace & I was only able to get 2-3 steps into it & It wouldn't let me go any further, I forget the exact response I think it had to do with boot 0.

You are obviously extremely knowledgeable & I am a novice on computers but it probably would have been a help to me if the program was bootable, as I knew the bootloader was, on a partition of it's own & if I could have got to it & replaced it, I should have been ok. I have heard of a program since, called Hieren's, in which if I understand correctly you can work on the bootabloader, but I presume this must be used in a different way.

Anyway thank you very much for your detailed replies & trying to help as much as possible. It is very good of people like you to give there time on forum's, probably answering questions very similar to what you have been asked many times before. Much appreciated & many thanks !!!!!!.

Back