Can't change windows 10 boot drive?

Hi folks,

I have an SSD portioned into three partitions ,with windows 7 and two partitions with windows 10 pro on each.

I also have an other dynamic disk drive B that I just use for data portioned as well .

As I mess around with EasyBCD 2.3 I noticed today that the boot drive is B, so I changed that to C within windows 7, works fine.

I now find that windows 10 is still showing the drive B on a different disk drive as the boot drive When I use easyBCD within windows 10 pro) so I used BCD backup repair to try to change the boot drive to C as well, says written successfully, but once I reboot its bot drive is still showing as B within windows 10. I am definitely selecting the right drive within windows 10 to set as boot.

1 Anyone be good enough to tell me what might be happening here.?

2 Is there a way to backup the boot menu and all files within easyBCD to external media, so that if the bootloaders or boot drive goes corrupt I can use that backup media to restore proper boot and backup settings?

Many thanks
Joe

Hello again,

Thought I was would post an update on my trouble shooting on this. When in windows 10 pro, when I ran easyBCD to change boot drive to D from B it completes successfully and shows as D boot device in easyBCD. I then made sure that he Samsung SSD is first drive in bios, but nevertheless when I restarted windows 10 pro it reverted to showing disk B as boot, what I wanted to change from. I then disabled fast startup in power options but that made no difference. Should I keep that fast startup disabled by the way?

Out of interest I disconnected my two other drives, including the one with partition B on it, and now windows 10 pro restarted fine and shows boot device D on the easyBCD utility.

I wonder why it seemingly skips the SSD where my preferred Boot drive D is, and moves to the second drive in the Boot order?

Thanks
Joe

Can you post a screenshot of what you mean.
When you say "change the boot drive" do you mean
Changing the Boot Partition ?
If so that is merely copying boot files from one partition to another without altering or removing the originals.
It will have no effect unless you also alter the BIOS boot sequence to use the new copies instead of the old (where different devices are used)

Thanks for reply Terry, Yes I mean change boot partition.
Question is, when I used the new copy and put the SSD drive with the new copy to the top of the drive boot in the Bios, windows 10 pro seemingly jumps the SSD and boots from the Original drive B partition on the second drive in boot sequence in the bios, that I wanted to change from.

But if I disconnect the second drive with partition B in my computer, windows 10 pro then finds the new copy that is in the Bios boot sequence, which is correct i.e the SSD drive.

But once I connect the other drive again with the B partition through the Sata cable EasyBCD reverts to showing the B boot partition which I wanted to change from.

Hope that is a little easier to understand..
Thanks Terry

Is this a Dell PC ?
For some reason, probably because they assume their customers are stupid, they won't allow a reordering of the boot sequence.
(there is one other OEM which also does this but I can't remember which one)
The only workaround is a physical swap of the data cables between the drives.

Thanks again Terry, its a pc from a company in UK not Dell, no big deal, think I can live with this one. :smile:
On a different note, can I ask you if its better to have that faster startup disabled in power options permanently?
Joe

Back