Computers SUCK!

Alejo

Distinguished Member
ok how about this. up and running, no real problems, except my processor is taxed by two services that i have no idea what they do and why they stop doing whatever it is that they are doing. how can i find the appropriate service so i can kill these things. this something very new, i noticed this after installing NOD32 (per your instructions) and then ran an update.

WHAT GIVES?:\

ok found it! search indexer and windows explorer. they just keep running and running and running and.........

Alejo said:
ok how about this. up and running, no real problems, except my processor is taxed by two services that i have no idea what they do and why they stop doing whatever it is that they are doing. how can i find the appropriate service so i can kill these things. this something very new, i noticed this after installing NOD32 (per your instructions) and then ran an update.

WHAT GIVES?:\
I notice that you said you installed NOD32. I know that on some builds of Vista that NOD32 doesnt seem to operate correctly. It causes CPU Usage to spike to 100%. That sounds like the case here. CG will be able to confirm this.

yes i did install NOD32. i followed the instructions from CG blog and it seemed to have installed correctly. after the installation i did a manual update, a couple of minutes later i started noticing the machine bogging down, it was so bad that i had to restart and as soon as the desk top came on, it was my only chance to try to go to diadgnostics and see what was the holding everything up. there were two services running and between the two they were using almost 50-50 of the CPU. going to start-up programs i tried to stop these two (windows explorer and search indexer) but there was no CPU left to do the task so the computer would just sit there, i figured it might have been NOD32; however could not uninstall because there was no CPU left (it stayed pegged at 100%). still being wet behind the ears i did what i knew how; reinstalled vista. this time no NOD32.
i would still like to know if you guys think that might have been the problem (NOD32) and if i could have gone about it a different way!?

I understand that NOD32 is one of the best Anti-Viruses out there. But i have found that if NOD doesnt work on Vista to use Avast!. I have done so myself. I just right clicked on the installer and had it run in XP SP2 compatability mode and it isntalled fine. t updated after restart and has run fine ever since.

So if you wish to keep NOD32 then follow CG's advice. But if you want a alternative AV then you can use Avast! or eTrust that has one that is specifically for Vista.

Thanks CG, I was getting so frustrated over the weekend; with the motherboard dying and then the power supply frying and then NOD32 pegging my CPU that i had nothing left in me. when RC1 comes out i'll try again and will keep an eye on your blogs to see if anything has changed as far as install of NOD32 but fro now I'll stick with the lesser PC-cillin. It works without conflict.
BTW i did install it as you had directed. i found those same instructions in your blogs. It still impresses me how well you know your stuff!

hmmmmmmmm... weird. it should have worked.

PC-cillin wil keep you safe, and NOD32 is working on a new version :smile:

At any rate, glad it's not all slow and stuff.... are you going to install Linux soon?

Yep, i will be installing SUSE today. i just recieved the cds yesturday.
when i reinstalled vista i created a partition and after, i noticed that in the original partition with NOD32 i had PC-cillin in the program files. PC-ciling was installed prior to trying out NOD32 but i had uninstalled PC-cillin prior to installing NOD32, with a restart in between. could that might have something to do with the services getting stuck? if so could i have just deleted that folder?

I don't know what you guys think about AVG but I heard it now works with the latest release of Vista.. just another avenue maybe?

I just mentioned it since nobody else seemed to have done, and NOD32 seemed to be problematic in this case. Good to hear AVG does work, Ive not actually tried it myself on Vista even though its my favourite AV. Im a bit confused Jane btw, are you a robot? (referring to your sig there dont take it as an insult lol..)

Not yet she's not :tongueout:

Jane's a young woman with an identity problem - she thinks she's an AI :tongueout:

Seriously though, Jane's a great person :smile: (Thank you for all your reporting, Jane!)

The reason people are having this problem with NOD32 is because NOD32 is the best, it offers unbeatable performance, power, and security compared to the other products, but unfortunately it does so by being highly-tailored to the OS in question, and it breaks on Vista.

Sorry Jane. I thought you made too much sense for a real AI lol.

I once installed one called Alice. She came out with some very odd stuff sometimes :crazy:

Whaoh! Hold on there CG, just because I'm not here 24/7 doesn't mean I can't speak for myself! :tongueout:

No, I'm not an AI, but I wish I was, AIs are just plain cool. sexy too :smile:

Hope you stick around, Spook.. NST is the greatest :grinning:

Back