Conflict with Ext2fsd

dsl225

Hi there,

I have a Linux/Android installation at first partition and WIN7 at second one.
I installed EasyBCD from the beginning and always worked like a charm.
Sometime later I also installed Ext2fsd Ext2Fsd Project in order to have access to Linux files on first partition from within WIN7.

That also worked for some time without issues.
Suddenly, EasyBCD stopped running (loading forever but not opening) as well as some other programs like Backupper. After testing several solutions, I ended up uninstalling Ext2fsd and everything was back on track again.

There is apparently a conflict with those 2 programs but I don't well understand why it worked for a couple of months without issues and suddenly the conflict appeared.

Any clues about that?

EasyBCD tries to enumerate all partitions on startup as part of its drive identification routines. If there is a bug in the ext2fs driver that you have installed, it could be hanging when EasyBCD attempts to get certain info. Unfortunately a lot of the open source filesystem implementations we've come across for Windows are very buggy and don't properly handle all the corner cases.

Thanks for your feedback.
EasyBCD works fine again after I removed the ext2fs driver.
Is there any other ext4 reader/writer that you would recommend for Win7?

You can try to find out where it hangs by trying to execute bootgrabber.exe /tlist manually. bootgrabber is in the bin directory.
I personally use a very roundabout method to gain access; I start a virtual machine and give it access to the physical partitions then use smb/cifs/nfs to natively access the contents from Windows without using any 3rd party drivers. But that's a pain and not something most people are willing to put up with.

Back