Cool Website

Wow, that really does put things in perspective.. reminds a little of this, though I was told the numbers aren't entirely accurate:

How Far is it to Mars?

I'm trying to find a short clip, it was like a 5 minute long video, maybe from BBC?

Read an interesting comment the other day on how spending crazy money on the NASA space program back in the day is actually the reason we don't have people on Mars today..

We should have moon colonies by now and ironically the Apollo program is probably the most at fault for that. In order to make it happen a lot of political capital was expended, creating a particular political situation which has become a permanent institution within NASA manned spaceflight (specifically, billions of federal dollars flowing into a few very specific congressional districts which has continued through Apollo and Shuttle programs and now SLS/Orion). If NASA had instead concentrated on a slower program which built up long-lived infrastructure and optimized toward lowering launch costs and increasing capabilities then we would easily have cities (or at least towns) in orbit and moonbases, and Mars bases.

More cool stuff from the Zooniverse.
Dig out your red/blue 3D glasses, click on the image then hit your browser fullscreen button and take a look at this low-sun composite to see the moon in impossible detail.
3-D Moon | Moon Zoo

Also click on the "whole of the moon" link at the side and view a moon movie only posted today and never before seen by any human eye.

Damn...I've mislaid my old red/blue 3D glasses. Got loads of polarized ones for my TV but can't find those original ones....will keep looking.

Last edited:
The strange part of this is, a few months ago NASA were airing some 3D images on their HD TV channel which I get on cable and I found them in seconds that time.....!

I just went on another search and found several things I thought I'd lost, but not the darn glasses. Now this is becoming a quest. :tongueout:

A cool animation of Rosetta's decade long chase through the Solar system
Where is Rosetta?
Click, drag and zoom on the main image to move in space, drag the slider to move in time.

Another cool webpage and also quite useful (or is it really only the English with a weather obsession ?)
The current state of the winds at any point on the planet.
(if you go back to the top level domain, you can also track ocean currents, temps, waves and a lot more)
Click, drag and zoom the interactive image.
earth :: a global map of wind, weather, and ocean conditions

Last edited:
Great music accompanying it too. A job well done by the film maker. Thanks for posting it Terry.
Barry you've reminded me, my Wired subscription has lapsed...ooops.

Back