Cpu upgrade advice

I presently run an Intel(R) core duo E8200 on a P35 platinum (ms-7345) motherboard. This has been outstanding with win 7 64 bit, until Battlefield 4, when it stuttered and at times stopped completely. Now this may have been that because it is necessary to be on line even to play the campaign and my connection here in mid France is only 240 Kbs a second.
I have never overclocked and don't want to go down that road.
Would you recommend that I upgrade to a quad core processor and if so, which one. Medium price range.

You could try going with something like an AMD X4 Black Edition.

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon X4 750K Trinity 3.4GHz Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop Processor - Black Edition AD750KWOHJBOX

They are good CPU's and with a clock range of 3.4GHz it is quite quick. I personally have the AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.0GHz and it is smooth as can be. Granted I have not tried to run BF4 on it though. I bet that it could handle it quite well. If you go to NewEgg and search for AMD X4 Black you will see they list Mobo's as well that are compatible with it.

So overall if you currently have DDR3 RAM you can switch that to the new system and be up and running for about $220 before tax. Not a bad price to get a Quad Core system. If you need RAM as well you will be looking at about an additional $85 in cost. Not a bad price for 8GB of RAM though. But as you said since the game requires you to be online and you only have a 240Kbps upload, the new system might not really be what you need. But for just over $300 the upgrade will be able to last you for at least another 10 years, if taken care of. :wink:

You could try going with something like an AMD X4 Black Edition.

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon X4 750K Trinity 3.4GHz Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop Processor - Black Edition AD750KWOHJBOX

They are good CPU's and with a clock range of 3.4GHz it is quite quick. I personally have the AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.0GHz and it is smooth as can be. Granted I have not tried to run BF4 on it though. I bet that it could handle it quite well. If you go to NewEgg and search for AMD X4 Black you will see they list Mobo's as well that are compatible with it.

So overall if you currently have DDR3 RAM you can switch that to the new system and be up and running for about $220 before tax. Not a bad price to get a Quad Core system. If you need RAM as well you will be looking at about an additional $85 in cost. Not a bad price for 8GB of RAM though. But as you said since the game requires you to be online and you only have a 240Kbps upload, the new system might not really be what you need. But for just over $300 the upgrade will be able to last you for at least another 10 years, if taken care of. :wink:

Many thanks, could you tell me if the slots for DDR4 is the same as for DDR3? Mike

As far as I know, no. But I could be wrong. Since DDR4 is still very new to the market and only been talked about there is no knowing for sure at this time. But if history is to be believed, then it wont. Since DDR, DDr2 and DDR3 are all different. Even if they were the same, the mobo would have to support DDR4 as well as the CPU in order for it to work. It is for that reason alone that I am still on DDR2 and never jumped to DDR3. I had 8GB of DDR2 RAM that was still good. It made no sense to buy a new mobo,CPU and RAM when I could save money and get a CPU and mobo for less and reuse the RAM I already had.

Back