Deskjet 5550 has suddenly switched to Very Slow Printing Mod

Hikermann

Distinguished Member
Windows 7 / HP Deskjet 5550: Printer has been working fine, but for some unknown reason it has decided to change over to Excruciatingly Slow Printing Mode: instead of hearing the carrier busily scurrying back and forth, it now trundles once across, then takes a long rest, then heads back the other direction. Now, I'm getting on up in those "senior years" and so my walk-abouts and hikes are becoming more and more like that too . . . but after running HP Print & Scan Doctor and trying every reset procedure I know of, the 5550 is not up to speed here; replaced the USB cable, but that made no difference; have gone through the "HP Printers - Slow Printing (Windows)" page of instructions, but nothing there made any difference.

Any suggestions toward a solution?

Many thanks. Appreciated.

I can't think of much as I'm not familiar with HP but make make sure the printer general (default) settings haven't been altered to do the best possible quality of printing as that always takes longer. Try unplugging the printer, shutting down and then plugging it in and restarting to force the system to reinstall it. Try uninstalling and reinstalling (perhaps updating?) the printer drivers and software. Also inside the software there may be a troubleshooter that you can use. You might get more help out of a Windows 7 forum or HP support perhaps?

Crazy: After trying all of the this-n-thats recommended on several forums, I simply changed the black ink cartridge and . . . YUP! Problem Solved. Hadn't considered that one!

Anyhow, many thanks for comments, suggestions and discussions. Very much appreciated. Now go and have yourselves a particularly refreshing end of the year holiday season!

Blessings.

Back