Displays

There is supposed to be this really realistic flight simulator its called X plane. The complete sim is 60 GB!!!!
X-Plane, by Austin Meyer

SO for real flight enthusiast that might be something youd like to try out. There is one without all add-ons thats 10 GB

Snap !
I too spent a weekend at Hamble on a selection board for BOAC, and was failed on my colour vision.
(I'm have anomolous trichromatism - which means I'm not classically colour blind with a missing colour sense, I see all 3 primary colours, but not in the same balance as "normal")
I therefore had to fork out my own money to get my PPL, which is restricted to day flying only.

At least you get to fly - I only got as far as ground crew, ah well, ç'est la vie.
I can't recall whether or not I went to Hamble for anything but I do recall that the physicals/medicals were at Biggin Hill (I think) - I know it was a RAF Aerodrome....as they called them in those days....yikes I am ancient...LOL!!

Nah, wouldn't fit on my desk.....LOL

Come to think of it, it probably wouldn't even fit throught door, let alone anything else.

I see no mention of the response time on that LCD.. I'd imagine its pretty high at that huge size and and (relatively) low resolution.

Not that it matters, of course. I doubt it's meant for playing Halo 2 in the living room.

I think three would be better Ali.
Used with a flight sim, I think you'd get a pretty good immersion experience
(and the response time would probably be OK for that software CG, so go ahead and buy a few.)

Note the last remark... "Price is yet to be determined" - you would probably have to mortgage the British Isles in order to finance it.

Well, it's out of ther question in this household, for quite a while. I'm praying that nothing major breaks down for a long time...!

I think it's to give you an illusion of 3D. Like in the movies - those of you who remember the introduction of Cinerama would know what I mean.

As games are designed for regular monitors, the articles on that monitor explain that there are visible lines showing between "screens" on that monitor. There isn't anything designed (yet) for that width so practically it's a waste of money, IMHO.

I saw "How the West was Won" in Cinerama on three screens when I was 10 years old, and can remember explaining how it worked to my school teacher on the next Monday.
(I was a geek even then)

It's quite nostalgic when they show it on TV these days and you can see the join lines on the composite print.

Last edited:
I remember it well. I think the first one I saw was "Cinerama Holiday" which was really one big plug for the process, but quite effective.

I was living in Shropshire then.....ah memories...!

I went to Disneyland (or it could have been Universal Studios - same holiday) in 1980, and saw a 12 screen 360 degree film taken from a 12 camera array under a USAF bomber, flying over the scenic parts of the USA. You had to stand at the centre of the circle of screens, and handrails were provided to prevent the audience falling over as the plane went into a steep turn and the world surrounding suddenly tipped on edge.

Back