[Download] UAC-Free iReboot BETA

Status
Not open for further replies.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
OK, per popular demand, here's a version of iReboot that will not bug you for elevation nor refuse to run at startup if UAC is enabled.

Technical details:
I've opted to use the Service model here, so a "iReboot" service will be installed along with the GUI in the taskbar.

The GUI should not require UAC elevation.

Please test it and share how it works for you with UAC enabled.

You shouldn't need to remove the old version of iReboot first.

This version of iReboot should work equally well with all accounts on your PC.

Download Build 12

Attachments

• iReboot Setup.exe
    247.8 KB · Views: 99
Thanks, Peter!!

Mak - take your time, don't let this rush you or anything :smile:

The scary thing is.... if I changed just 4 lines of the code, it would allow any program to run without UAC under all accounts with full system privileges! MS really needs to re-think their security model. :/

There is no way they don't know - it wasn't so much that I "found" something so much as it is that the UAC design is inherently flawed.

I have no problem telling anyone, but I'm 99% sure it's by-design and meant as a last-ditch workaround that they're hoping the wrong people simply don't notice.

It's sad though, because they made it such a pain to work with UAC that I can easily see desperate developers just doing something like this to avoid it entirely - no bad intentions involved.

Oh well....

Sorry Guru,
Tried it but it still gets blocked from startup, then requires UAC confirmation when it's manually fired up. (I uninstalled 1.0 first before installing this and the startup nag confirms it's 1.1)
I checked in Admin/Services and the iReboot service is up and running OK.
So perhaps MS UAC design doesn't have the big hole you thought ?
I wonder how Ex-Brit is doing it ? Does he have UAC turned off ?

Last edited:
Can you please take a screenshot of C:\Program Files\NeoSmart Technologies\iReboot\

Thanks!

Sorry Guru,
Tried it but it still gets blocked from startup, then requires UAC confirmation when it's manually fired up. (I uninstalled 1.0 first before installing this and the startup nag confirms it's 1.1)
I checked in Admin/Services and the iReboot service is up and running OK.
So perhaps MS UAC design doesn't have the big hole you thought ?
I wonder how Ex-Brit is doing it ? Does he have UAC turned off ?

No I don't. It's turned on here!

I'm installing a pristine copy of Vista Ultimate RTM (non-SP1 or anything) in a VM to test it right now, but I have an idea about why it's not working on Terry's machine - the screenshot should tell me if I'm right or wrong though.

Sorry Guru, I can't persuade my screenshot into this window. "paste" stays stubbornly grayed out.
Tell me what you're looking for and I'll give you a yes/no far quicker than fiddling around with prtscn or clipping tool.
By the way I'm Vista 64 - so the folder is in Prog filesx86 - maybe that's the problem - are you and Brit on V32 ?

I don't think x86 or x64 should matter, but it's a thought....

OK: is there a iReboot.exe.manifest file in the iReboot directory?

Sorry Guru, I can't persuade my screenshot into this window. "paste" stays stubbornly grayed out.
Tell me what you're looking for and I'll give you a yes/no far quicker than fiddling around with prtscn or clipping tool.
By the way I'm Vista 64 - so the folder is in Prog filesx86 - maybe that's the problem - are you and Brit on V32 ?

I'm x86 (32-bit) and to post images here you need to open a free hosting account somewhere like Photobucket.

Or you can attach it to a reply (by using the "Post Reply" page instead of the quick reply).

There's iReboot.exe 275k application, iReboot Service.exe/InstallLog/Installstate bcdedit.exe, bcdlibrary.dll, installutil.exe/installLog and uninstall.exe
(9 entries in total)

Have I accidentally removed the necessary .manifest by uninstalling the 1.0 first ?

I've only got iReboot on Vista, not XP, if that's of any relevance. Though I can't think of any earthly reason why XP's status should affect it in any way.
(still unable to get past the 0x80200010 error in WUD to get NET 2.0 on XP - Would you believe I got a reply from the Windows update support team - and I quote precisely "I am afraid I do not have the technical expertise to advise you about Windows Updates." - God knows who is supposed to fix problems with WUD then ?)

Last edited:
You're right, it shouldn't make any difference.

My only copy of the Vista ISO turned out to be corrupt, I'm re-downloading it again so this'll take some time.

Addendum:

OK, I don't know what to say.

Here's what I did:
1) Clean install of Vista x86 Ultimate Edition RTM.
2) Downloaded and iReboot from this thread.
3) Ran the setup (was prompted to elevate iReboot setup), chose to run iReboot at startup in the setup options.
4) Clicked "Run iReboot now" and that worked.
5) Exited iReboot and started it again, manually from the start menu this time. No problem.
6) Used iReboot to reboot my PC, and noted that iReboot ran at startup.

So, all in all, I was prompted for UAC just once: upon installing iReboot. After that, it launches at startup without any nags or prompts, and can be run manually from the start menu just the same.

I'm afraid I don't have an x64-capable processor (soon, soon!) so I cannot test if this is a bug that presents itself under x64.... I'm going through the code with a comb to see if there's anything there that hard-references any x86 files, but I don't remember putting any in the first place.

If someone can test this on a clean x64 installation I'd be grateful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back