Dual boot W7 & Win Embedded XP

Neojoe

I'm trying to dual boot the above on a single disk. W7 is primary 1st OS. I have a second disk with WE-XP. If I run easyBCD with both disks attached, dual boot with easy BCD works fine. (Std BIOS/MBR type). I used a disk copier to copy the XP disk to unallocated space on the W7 disk as a logical partition. Using easy BCD I can boot into the XP partition, and get as far as the Embedded XP login window. This means all the XP boot stuff loaded ok and just the user session stuff needs to get started.

The XP has only one user and no password required. The little XP login box says;
Windows XP loading
Loading your personal settings
Logging off
...... Long wait period
Starts oscillating from-
Logging off
Logging off
Until SHIFT halts to the logon-to-Windows frame.
Attempt to logon repeats oscillation. Have to shutdown.

Anyone got ideas?

@Neojoe I think your MountedDevices registry key contains some wrong data. Manually edit it so that the mapping of volumes to drives is correct and see if that helps.
It's definitely not an EasyBCD issue if you get that far.

@BarryTones With EasyBCD, the order of partitions doesn't matter. Welcome to the forums!

@Neojoe I think your MountedDevices registry key contains some wrong data. Manually edit it so that the mapping of volumes to drives is correct and see if that helps.
It's definitely not an EasyBCD issue if you get that far.

@BarryTones With EasyBCD, the order of partitions doesn't matter. Welcome to the forums!
In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/system/MountedDevices the entries are mighty cryptic.
Can't see how to interpret binary info. But I agree that it's not a low level boot issue.
It is certainly higher up.

@barryjones - I don't want to reinstall the WEmbedded XP, just clone the partition.

Back