Dual Boot Win7-XP

fle

Greetings, 1st post
After reviewing an older dual boot post, is this procedure going to work?
I have Win7 on sata0 and XP on sata1. Both hdd's installed separately. Before I connect them both, using Easeus, I plan on partitioning the Win7 (650Gb)hdd (C:frowning:60Gb, os), D:frowning:120Gb, programs), E:frowning:120Gb, data) and maybe F:frowning:200Gb, media)then disconnecting. Connect the XP hdd and run Stop-XP reg hack. Reconnect Win7, enter bios to boot from Win7 (sata0), install EasyBCD and add XP.
Thanks for comments and this forum!
Fred
Sorry for colon induced smilies

So, after I partition W7 hdd, I should install EasyBCD, shut down, connect XP hdd, start and boot into XP (I assume this will be obvious), put Stop_XP.reg on desktop from usb drive, Right click on the .reg file (on Desktop) and click on Merge.
Click on the Run button for Security Warning pop-up.
Click on Continue (UAC), Yes, and then OK when prompted.
Restart XP to apply the changes.
Of course I don't know how the dual boot works after I shut down and power up. Again, I assume this will be obvious. Does this read about right?

Thanks much for the reply, Terry!

You can't really use a .reg file. (the disk letters will be different from system to system), but follow the instructions in the previous link, it's a simple manual process with regedit when you know what disk letters XP sees W7 partitions as (or what you set them to manually in Disk Management)
You'll need to "offline" the W7 and W7 apps partitions in XP and set SR to monitor only the XP OS (and XP apps if they're in a separate partition).
In W7 set SR to monitor only W7 OS and W7 apps. Common data partition(s) should not have SR turned on in either OS,

If you can choose boot disk in BIOS, all you need do is connect the XP drive, boot into 7, and use EasyBCD to add XP. There is really nothing that needs to be done in the registry. (You can do the SR fix later since you'll need all new restore points, anyway, after the system changes.)

But I'd also suggest that you make you OS partition larger. The minimum recommended is 50 GB's, and you aren't leaving much room for programs (many of which install the majority of their files to directories outside Program Files). Every installed program takes some space from the OS drive, and some games, language courses, etc. take many GB's from the system drive even when "installed" elsewhere.

In fact, there is little advantage to having programs outside the system partition. If you reinstall, all programs need to be reinstalled, too. And if you make disk images as backups, having it all in one place makes things simpler. Speed is no different, either.

Last edited:
Back