EasyBCD 2.2.0.182 creating AutoNeoGrub0.mbr over and over

tas3086

I create multiple iso entries that work fine, then after booting I go back and add another entry and it attempts to add the 0.MBR entry again, and all entries in the NST directory are deleted, and only the mbr0 remains. In order to add an entry I have to delete all entries and add them all at once. What am I doing wrong. Here's a before and after view of the settings as a sample ....
Before reboot and adding a new entry .....
There are a total of 4 entries listed in the bootloader.
Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 5 seconds
Boot Drive: C:\
Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Entry #2
Name: Acronis Disk Director
BCD ID: {cee937da-4865-11e0-b4b0-1c6f6593842d}
Bootloader Path: \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr
Entry #3
Name: Acronis True Image Home
BCD ID: {cee937db-4865-11e0-b4b0-1c6f6593842d}
Bootloader Path: \NST\AutoNeoGrub1.mbr
Entry #4
Name: BUI 7
BCD ID: {cee937dd-4865-11e0-b4b0-1c6f6593842d}
Bootloader Path: \NST\AutoNeoGrub2.mbr

After reboot and adding a new entry ........

There are a total of 5 entries listed in the bootloader.
Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 5 seconds
Boot Drive: C:\
Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Entry #2
Name: Acronis Disk Director
BCD ID: {cee937da-4865-11e0-b4b0-1c6f6593842d}
Entry #3
Name: Acronis True Image Home
BCD ID: {cee937db-4865-11e0-b4b0-1c6f6593842d}
Bootloader Path: \NST\AutoNeoGrub1.mbr
Entry #4
Name: BUI 7
BCD ID: {cee937dd-4865-11e0-b4b0-1c6f6593842d}
Bootloader Path: \NST\AutoNeoGrub2.mbr
Entry #5
Name: BUI 9
BCD ID: {cee937e0-4865-11e0-b4b0-1c6f6593842d}

and in \NST all previous .mbr entries are gone, and only the grub0.mbr exists.

Interesting. I'll look into it, I have some ideas on why you might experience this (it's not the default experience for most people, it'll have something to do with your partition configuration).

I'm assuming these are all on the local PC and not for a USB drive or something?

Yes, local hard drive, 3 bootable partitions, one extended partition with a few logicals.

Note that the boot partition that I am using is the third entry in the partition table. (this is a little unusual as I bet most will have 1st entry as the bootable/active entry.

I bet your ideas are correct !

Additional information:

I unplugged all other hard drives, and the problem continues.

I usually have 2 arconis selections and am adding a BUI9 selection. I removed the 2 acronis entries, and just went with one the BUI9 entry.
(all items except the grub0.mbr entry exist. I also noticed the creation of an ANG0 file entry in the root directory of C: . Other ang0,1,2 entries existed before my latest addition of only BUI9, but I deleted them)
Here is the interesting thing. When I select the only BUI9 entry, it boots the old Acronis (iso) entry that no longer exists. I added another BUI9A entry, and It boots the other Acronis(iso) entry.

I burned a cd of the BUI9.iso and it is what I expected. I think that it is picking up some old acronis information somewhere, but I have looked on all my partitions and there is no root NST directory, not any ANG# files anywhere. I'm going to remove and reinstall EasyBCD and see if that helps.

Hopefully this helps.

It's weird, there's nothing about the configuration you posted that should trip EasyBCD up.
It's supposed to search the \NST\ directory, find the latest ANG# and increment it for the next ANG install.

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Sorry, I meant the boot directory. C:\ has the ANG# and C:\NST\ has the AutoNeoGrub#.mbr files - it searches for the former..

Wait, I get it. The actual bug is that something is deleting the ANG files, not that EasyBCD is re-using ANG0.
Do you have any idea at what point in the process the \NST directory is being cleared?

Back