EasyBCD boots into grub>

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg1

I have three menu items Windows 7, Windows 2003 Server and Ubuntu 13.10 server. The windows items work fine. The Ubuntu item when selected enters the Grub2 prompt: grub>

There are a total of 3 entries listed in the bootloader.Default: Microsoft Windows 2003 Server
Timeout: 30 seconds
Boot Drive: C:\
Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Entry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows 2003 Server
BCD ID: {default}
Bootloader Path: \NST\ntldr
Entry #3
Name: Ubuntu Server
BCD ID: {c455ca3f-8ba3-11e3-986d-74d4355e8619}
Bootloader Path: \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr

Is this a Linux problem? Can I generate a Grub2 menu from grub> ?

Many thanks,

Kevin

32 bit ubuntu much better than the 64 bit ubuntu - version 13.10

I have three menu items Windows 7, Windows 2003 Server and Ubuntu 13.10 server. The windows items work fine. The Ubuntu item when selected enters the Grub2 prompt: grub>

There are a total of 3 entries listed in the bootloader.Default: Microsoft Windows 2003 Server
Timeout: 30 seconds
Boot Drive: C:\
Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Entry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows 2003 Server
BCD ID: {default}
Bootloader Path: \NST\ntldr
Entry #3
Name: Ubuntu Server
BCD ID: {c455ca3f-8ba3-11e3-986d-74d4355e8619}
Bootloader Path: \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr

Is this a Linux problem? Can I generate a Grub2 menu from grub> ?

Many thanks,

Kevin

I deleted the 64bit version of Ubuntu 13.10. I then installed the 32bit version. The 32bit installer was noticeably better. It gave options for installing grub2 not available in the 64bit installer. I selected "no" to MBR and manually entered the root partition as to where I wished grub2 to be installed. In the 64bit version one must go to the repair item on the install CD to select the root partition. Without changing EasyBCD the windows menu item "Ubuntu Server" worked first time in the 32bit install.

Cheers,
Kevin

Hallo

have just the same problem with openSUSE 9.3 and openSUSE 12.3 on a two hard disk System. Hard disk 1 contains Windows Vista 32bit, hard disk 2 contains SuSE Linux 8.3 with boot partition on hda5, openSUSE 9.3 with boot partition on hda2 and openSUSE 12.3 with boot partition on hda19 (all 32bit OS). I first created all bcdedit entries manually from Windows Vista, before I created with dd if=/dev/hdx of=/tmp/LinuxX.X.bin bs=512 Count=1 the extractions from the Linux boot partition.All Linux uses GRUB (not GRUB2), which is installed in ist boot partition. But only SuSE Linux 8.1 (from second hard disk partition 5) can be bootet with Vista boot Manager (with start GRUB and it loads correct menu.lst), for the other two I just got a GRUB prompt (and the Linux is not booting). The same when I add all boot entries with EasyBCD.

What do I have to do, so that openSUSE 9.3 and openSUSE 12.3 also boot with Vista boot Manager?

Until two days ago I used Windows XP and Partition Magic BootMagic boot loader, which works fine with Win98/WinXP, but no more with Windows Vista. So I look for an alternative. Vista was installed over Windows XP Partition, the openSUSE Installation exists already before with Windows XP.

hfwalz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back