Error after installing Ubuntu

Discussion in 'EasyBCD Support' started by chrisuk76, Jan 9, 2010.

1. chrisuk76

chrisuk76 New Member

Already had Vista/XP dual boot setup (Vista installed first), using EasyBCD.

I then installed Ubuntu and that put Grub in charge of the boot, so I then went into Vista and into EasyBCD and re-installed the boot loader which gave me back my EasyBCD boot options. I then added Linux to the boot list in EasyBCD.

Upon rebooting, Vista booted and worked fine, when I selected Linux it took me to the Grub boot loader and I selected Linux from there (is this correct?), it booted into Ubuntu.

I then tried Win XP and this is were my problems are, the first error message I got was "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:- <windows root>\system32\hal.dll, please re-install a copy of this file".

I then tried messing around in EasyBCD (can't remember what I changed as I tried several things) and now I have a similar message but this time "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:- <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe".

Is there a way I can repair this or am I going to have to wipe the slate clean and do re-installs?

Thanks

2. Terry60

Terry60 Coastline Designer Staff Member

Retired System Programmer
    Use EasyBCD 2.0 latest build
    Delete the XP entry. Add it again. Let EasyBCD auto-configure. Don't change the drive assigned.
    In the Linux menu set timeout (0) and you'll take the default boot without seeing the Linux menu.

3. chrisuk76

chrisuk76 New Member

Yeah, I should have said that I already have that version and tried that process and it doesn't seem to have helped.

Think I am gonna do a re-install anyway.

4. Terry60

Terry60 Coastline Designer Staff Member

Retired System Programmer
    Are you using Ubuntu 9.10 ?
    Did you remember to select grub2 from the dropdown?
    Please post DM and "dispay settings" as detailed at the end of the sticky thread.

5. chrisuk76

chrisuk76 New Member

Thanks, but I have already decided to do a complete re-install.

The thing I am confused about now is in what order to install?

I am wanting win 7/xp/ubuntu and mac osx on multi.

Cheers