Firefox, or Google Chrome?

I'm curious to know what internet browser everyone prefers to use, between Firefox, and Google Chrome. Which one do you believe is better, in terms of speed, and features. As far as I know, Firefox is a resource hogger, it eats up your memory, while Google Chrome is pretty lightweight. This doesn't matter to users with over 4 GB of memory.
Firefox seems to update frequently, I never see any kind of updates for Google Chrome, unless it's silent updates or something.
The extensions are usually the same, there are a few unique extensions for firefox, like instantfox. It makes it easier to search, you just type in "g how to do ???" for a google search. or "y make pizza" for a youtube search. Not too fascinating, but it's not found in the chrome extensions.
If you took your time to read through this, than I am honored, I can't wait to hear what browser you think is best!

I find Chrome slightly quicker than Firefox but as far as memory use it's a toss-up between the two - in my Task Manager right now there is one item for Firefox (the browser I'm using right now) with around 84000k being used and when I open Chrome, no fewer than 6 items appear totalling a bit more than that.. Personally I don't like Chrome but keep it installed in case I get questions about it.

Look at my avatar and you probably know what browser I use. Google stores everything about me, so why not use a browser that taps into all of that? Firefox is great, but I don't see Mozilla offering email, a calendar, a contact book... well you get the idea. It also syncs seamlessly with Chrome on my Galaxy Nexus, all with one sign on. And with Chrome out for iOS now, a Google user doesn't haft to look to Firefox or XMarks to sync their browser information across multiple platforms.

Google Chrome updates as often is not more than Firefox. You just dont get prompted cause a service called Chrome Updater is running at all times and automatically installs the updates. You never get prompted to install them or notified that they are there. You just get updated without any hiccups in your daily activity.

I am using Google Chrome Version 23.0.1262.0 dev-m currently. Waiting to update to win8 in Oct to start using IE10, as I do like that.

Funny how differently we see things. A generational thing I suppose.
You detail all the reasons why I don't/would never use Chrome, or Gmail and why I never search with google.
I find it creepy beyond belief that a massive corporation could read all my email and texts, and keep a data base of every URL I've ever accessed and think that that's OK.
We all seem to think that "the state" keeping those kind of tabs on us would be oppressive and an infringement of our civil liberties, but for some reason, assume that a multi-billion dollar corporation doing the same thing is somehow benign and innocent !

You do realize that there is a Browsing History stored via all browsers right? So it isnt just Chrome, but IE, Firefox, Maxthon, Opera and Safari that all track where you been. MSN, Hotmail, Outlook and Live Emails are all treated the same way as GMail is. So I dont quite understand how you can be okay with what Bing does to track your usage but not Google.

I am not saying it is okay, but the fact is no matter which browser you use or email service you use, it is all being tracked. I have email accounts with GMail and Microsoft. I use browsers by both. So frankly I dont see how I outlined anything that is bad about Chrome. It updates in the background. It secures your software for you so you dont have to be using insecure software without knowing it or waiting till the 2nd Tuesday of the month to get secure. I frankly think that it is nice to have such a feature. I just run the software and dont have to worry about installing updates.

I use it all cause I know no matter what, if they want to find out, they can. Dont think for a second that Microsoft isnt doing some of the exact same things that your saying about Google. Let alone the fact you can disable the history right in your Google settings....

You say you use Maxthon, but yet they have you create an account with their Browser. Why do you think that is? For tracking purposes. Let alone the fact they have a history just like Google....

iyzrxi.jpg

There is what my History looks like from the last time I used Maxthon. Funny how the browser of your choice seems to do exactly what you claim Google does. I am not trying to start anything mind you. I am simply pointing out the facts. The very same things you say you hate are being done by the software you choose to use. Yet you want to cast out against the one but not the other?

Last edited:
comp.JPGAll browsers have a browser history facility which you can choose to use (or not) for your own convenience, as I do with Max.
That's not the same thing as the company mining that source, keeping its own long-term data base of all your activity and scanning your mail and text for interesting words or phrases, as google are known to do.
I find their corporate ethos intrusive, bordering on sinister, which may be my hippy, lefty paranoia, but I intend to continue steering clear of them until they recant and change policy.

Alex, I think Terry was replying to my post. I can understand your point of view. Like Alex has stated though, it doesn't matter who you go with because its their system and they can do what they please with your data if you choose to provide it to them. For me, its about simplicity and security. I would rather trust Google with everything because it provides so much with a single login and does so securely and therefore I don't need to trust multiple companies with all of my data. For everyone else its need to know and thats the way I like it.

You're right Jus that everything we do on the web outside of https domains is "sort of" public and could be mined, and that even https is accessible to governmental security agencies. (When I worked for IBM when it was the big force in IT, it was prohibited by the US government from implementing the full encryption of which its mainframes were capable because they didn't want a US company providing equipment to foreign nationals which could enable them to communicate in a way that couldn't be broken by the US !)
That's the price we pay, the risk we take, for the use of the most fantastic tool/information resource in human history.
It doesn't mean we have to accept that we are going to be mugged online. That's why we apply every security patch, maintain a firewall, and use AV software.
It's also why I do business with companies whose written policies include phrases like "we promise not to collect personal data etc etc" and why I avoid Google because their policy is 180° away from that. Their promise is to collect every fact they can glean about you, your situation, your likes and dislikes, your disposable income, your shopping, browsing and reading habits, your private communications and so on, and to compile and cross reference it and keep it in perpetuity.
I'm sure their motives are entirely ones of financial self interest, wanting to market us as commodities to other commercial enterprises, rather than dispatch the thought police to our homes; but I still find the mere existence of such a repository intensely troubling and am happier keeping my entry in their files as sparse as possible.
That's just one of my foibles. I also don't/won't buy Apple stuff because I detest their use of expensive litigation to crush all competition, I won't buy goods or services that would make Richard Murdoch one penny richer, and I wouldn't accept a Ferrari as a gift (I couldn't afford to buy one, so saying I wouldn't is meaningless). Explaining the last one would take too long !

A bit late and not important but as to firefox's instantfox function, chrome allows you to search directly from the address bar. You can search via google (who now owns youtube, so it's a nice combo), yahoo, bing, wikipedia, basically any search engine that you prefer. As far as I know this is possible from firefox as well if not quite as easily.

I prefer Chrome over Firefox. It's definitely much faster and aside from that, all you need to do is to type your question/keyword on the address bar and results will populate.

Back