Generic application preloader

pj1115

Hey

I recently started using the Firefox Preloader application to reduce the startup time of Firefox 3 from around 1 second to around 0.2 seconds. It loads parts of the application on system startup to reduce loading time later on if you tend to use it alot. Because I use it so often, I don't mind the unnoticeable extra time it takes to log on.

I was wondering, would it be possible to create a sort of generic preloader, so that certain libraries or execuatables are loaded at logon so they can start later on? Is this unrealistic, does something like this already exist? I'm looking for something a little more substantial than the built-in Windows prefetcher, or the Vista Super Fetch (I work primarily in XP anyway).

Just wondering as I think it would be a useful thing to have if there are certain frequently-used programs that you would like to wait a little less time for.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply.... I read this post when you first posted and have been thinking about it for a while.

I don't think this would be something too hard to implement, though I don't know how many people would enjoy having their computer start up even slower than it already does in order to speed up the launching of other applications.....

I, for one, have spent a lot of time getting rid of unrequested pre-loaded junk, and prefer that software only uses resources when I ask for it and then b*gg*rs off completely when I've finished. (that includes a lot of MS unused services too)
Each to his own, I guess.

Yep, that's my biggest concern... The first thing I install on any PC is Mike Lin's excellent "Startup Control Panel" and get rid of all the startup bloat. I hate programs that force their prelaunchers down my throat like Acrobat and OpenOffice.

However, if there's a "market" for such a product and it's not too difficult to implement.... I don't see why not.

I read this post when you first posted and have been thinking about it for a while
That's fine, you're a busy guy.

I know what you both mean... of course any additional startup time is bad. I also cannot stand the extra bloat of those helpers and background services and applications. I usually use CCleaner to remove unwanted startup applications and have also disabled services I don't use. Not everyone has the time or power to burn.

However, I sometimes set some of my utilities to launch when I log on, and there are a select few things that I have set to autostart that I really do make use of. It's a question of desire, quantity and necessity.

Also, I wasn't thinking that everything must be loaded immediately at statup, and perhaps it could be done strategically over a short time instead. Just a thought.

Last edited:
With the release of Vista, MS now allows you to delay startup of some services until the completion of the initial startup proccess.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 4
User controlled autostarts are a different kettle of fish completely. Lotus Organizer starts at boot for me, so I can check whether I'm supposed to be doing something, paying a bill or whatever, but that's my choice of course. (and firewall and AV of course)
Like Guru, I resent Adobe or Apple starting application launchers for Reader or Quicktime, which I only execute a few times a month, and am quite prepared to wait the extra 2 seconds (especially since they're often waiting 10 times as long for a download to complete anyway).
I hate it even more when they design their software to reinstall the launcher the next time you use it, if you've gone to the bother of removing it. That counts as malware to me.

Last edited:
I can agree with you there. Its one way or the other. Leave them enabled, they'll just slow everything down. Disable them and you'll get annoying messages or won't be able to use the applications. I can't even disable the iPod service at startup without iTunes complaining. QuickTime shouldn't even be a problem. If its anything I hate the most it is when you install software and get extra stuff you don't need. iTunes plays QuickTime movies just fine.

Last edited:
Back