'Get Windows 10' prompt adopts malware-like tactics to lure you into upgrading

Jim Walker

Distinguished Member
"Do you want to download Windows 10 now or now? That’s the question I found myself faced with when I opened an irregularly used Windows 8.1 laptop last night.

Once a small box begging for a reservation in the corner of the screen, the “Get Windows 10” pop-up prompt has morphed to consume the majority of the display, and worse, it only presents users with two clear actionable buttons:Upgrade now, andStart download, upgrade later. There’s no immediate “No thanks” option whatsoever."

The answer is to uninstall any or all of the following updates and when offered again, hide them (same KB numbers for Windows 8 and 8.1):

Capture.JPG

Yes, you have to keep a keen lookout for those particular updates ,crafty, recommended for windows 7.
I had a dual boot and there was no way at the time that I wanted two windows 10, it's certainly not a fair way saying they are for windows 7.
I was forever checking my hubby's machine and sorting it out.
But his favourite game plays in 10, his printers work and he only uses windows paint
for his craft work.
So I upgraded him to 10. But you should have a clear free choice as to what software you wish to use.
sandyg

Yes they keep sneaking in various ways and means of persuading one to upgrade.
I'm still undecided about my last remaining Win 7 Pro. It works so well and is OK until 2020 anyway.

I have W7 and W10(upgraded from the worse than useless W8(.1))
Why would I want two W10s ?
Especially when I don't even use the first one.
It doesn't do what I want (need), whereas W7 does exactly what's required.

Well I have the 2 Win 10's in order to test 2 different McAfee beta products, but I use 7 by default. I agree entirely.

Back