Happy Birthday, Peter!

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Hey Peter,

Happy birthday on behalf of myself and the forums :grinning: I'm sure everyone else will be along with their best wishes soon!
:booyah:

birthday-cake.jpg

Happy birthday, Peter! :smile:

I like that firefox cake.

And... long live the software!
death to viruses!
Cheaper go the hardware! :lol:

Thank you everybody. I must have been asleep at the wheel not to notice this. Old age gets to a person you know...LOL.
I do tend to nap a lot these days.

68 going on 39 (again). Yikes, where did it all go?

Last edited:
Well, I decided that I deserved a Birthday present to end all Birthday presents and for some reason I'm quaking in my shoes at the thought of forking out around $250/month for 3 years or so through the financing deal. Maybe they wont approve it and I can stop with the guilt complex.

Alienware....ordered online...

[1] ALX® X58

Processor: Overclocked Intel® Core™ i7-975 Extreme 3.86 GHz 8MB Cache
Alienware P2 Chassis: Alienware® P2 ALX Chassis with AlienIce™ 3.0 Video Cooling - Space Black
AlienFX®: Alienware® AlienFX® System Lighting - Fusion Red
Alienware P2 Chassis Upgrades: Alienware® High-Performance Liquid Cooling + Acoustic Dampening
Power Supply: Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Graphics Processor: Single 1,792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295
Video Optimizer: AlienAdrenaline v1.0: Video Performance Optimizer
Memory: 12GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 6 x 2048MB
Motherboard: Alienware® Approved Intel® X-58 Motherboard- Socket 1366 Core i7 Ready, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Memory
Operating System (Office software not included): Windows Vista® Ultimate (64-bit Edition) with Service Pack 1 plus Free Windows 7 Upgrade Option
System Drive: Extreme Performance (RAID 0) - 1TB (2 x 500GB) SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 2 x 16MB Cache
Additional Storage Drive: Additional Storage Drive - 1TB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 32MB Cache
Optical Drives : Dual Drive Configuration - Drive 1: Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BD-ROM, DVD±RW, CD-RW)
Drive 2:6x Dual Layer Blu-ray Burner (BD-RE, DVD±RW, CD-RW)
Enthusiast Essentials: Dual High Performance Gigabit Ethernet Ports
Sound Card: High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio
Gaming Headsets:
Alienware TactX™ Headset
Included ALX Exclusive Extra!
Keyboard: Gaming Keyboard - Logitech® G15 Keyboard
Mouse: Gaming Mouse - Logitech® G9 Gaming Mouse
Warranty: 3-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support with Onsite Service
AlienRespawn: AlienRespawn v2.0 Recovery DVD – Windows Vista® Edition
Removable Storage: Alienware® 28-in-1 Media Card Reader with Bluetooth
Wireless Routers: D-Link® DGL-4500 Xtreme N Gaming Router Built Specifically for Gaming
Alienware Apparel: Alienware® T-Shirt (Size XL Black)
The following are all included as standard...
Exclusive ALX Extras: Alienware TactX™ Headset
Exclusive ALX Extras: Alienware® Mesh Cap
Exclusive ALX Extras: Alienware® ALX Mousepad
Exclusive ALX Extras: Alienware® ALX Desktop Binder
Exclusive ALX Extras: Owner Identification Card
Exclusive ALX Extras: Internal Wire Management
Exclusive ALX Extras: Exclusive Alienware® ALX Items
Window Style: Default Window Style
Mouse Pointers: Large Mouse Pointers
Wallpaper: Alienhead 3D
Wallpaper: Alien Cyborg
Wallpaper: Alienhead Logo
Power Plan: Balanced
Automatic Updates: Automatic Updates On
Sidebar Gadgets: CPU Meter
Sidebar Gadgets: Weather Forecast (default location)
RSS Feeds: Alienware News:
Get the latest Alienware news delivered directly to your desktop!
RSS Feeds: Slashdot:
News for nerds, stuff that matters.
RSS Feeds: Digg:
Share, discover, bookmark, and promote stuff that's important to you!
RSS Feeds: Engadget:
Get the latest technology news.
RSS Feeds: Gizmodo:
The Gadget Guide.
Time Zones: (GMT - 5.00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

[1] Limited Time Offer; Free Shipping

I'm not mentioning the price - that's the part that has me quaking in my shoes. Shall we say that I have be deranged to even think about it on my pension....bang go holidays for the next 3 years.

That's from the email I just received. I called them first to plead for a non-RAID setup, but they don't allow it. So I will have to disable RAID (thru' the BIOS) myself when I receive it, which will wipe the drives clean & mean using their "Respawn" disk to reinstall everything.
Having never experienced RAID before I have no idea how I will do it, but will learn as I go along. All I know is that I don't want it thank you very much. Too many problems reported on the web for me ever to go that route.

Someone - say a prayer....!

Attachments

• desktop_alxblack.png
    desktop_alxblack.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
It isn't small by any means and it's very heavy from what I read online, not surprising considering what's packed in there. The x58 motherboard is bigger than the average M/B for starters.

Case
Height: 19.01” 48.29cm
Width: 9.97” 25.32cm
Depth: 25.02” 63.55cm

Last edited:
Well look on the bright side of this spending: you're getting a good machine and the shipping is free. And hey if you got enough desk room and the pocket book to match than yep looks like a machine that'll at least be considered "decent" for a few years :smile:

Last edited:
My current one was "top-of-the-line" when I got it and it has lasted 5 years+ so hopefully this one will last as long, if not longer. That's assuming the financing gets approved. I wont hear until later today or tomorrow I would imagine.
I see no point in buying something less than "the best" as it will only be obsolete all that much sooner.

Last edited:
Just the opposite to me Peter.
I always get last year's model of mobo,CPU, graphics etc, when the unit price has gone from the £200 to the £40-50 range. One year older for 80% discount is more my style.

Good policy Terry, except you aren't crazy like me...LOL.

Mind you, I don't think the prices on any of the major components of my proposed system have dropped much in price since inception. I could be wrong of course.

I say proposed as I haven't heard from Dell Financial yet...!

Back