Having some problems, need help.

tripmix

OK, I'v been trying to get my debian back up for a few days now.
My debian is on sdb1 (hd2,0) I'v tried installing grub inn both (hd2,0) and (hd2) but when I try too boot having sett easybcd to look for linux on disk 2 partition 1 I only get the word "GRUB" and it stops.
Anyone have some tips?

Edit: Update:
I'v also tried neogrub whit these settings: (and a few more)

timeout 10
default 0

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.18-3-amd64
root (hd2,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-3-amd64 root=/dev/sdb1 ro
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-3-amd64
savedefault

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.18-3-amd64 (single-user mode)
root (hd2,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-3-amd64 root=/dev/sdb1 ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-3-amd64
savedefault

This only gives me a black screen for a second and then it goes back to the menu.

Hi tripmix, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies!

NeoGrub is only compatible with EXT2/3, so that might explain your problem.

The only thing that I can think of for EBCD's Linux option is that HD2,0 on Linux isn't HD2,0 on Windows - open Computer Management (in Admin Tools) -> Disk Management and make sure of the letters.

Let me know if that works/doesn't..

Thx for the reply. I looked at the disk managment you mention and it looked OK to me. Screen:
48099F00.jpg

My linux root is ext3 but I have other disks that are other formats but I don't see how that could be relevant.

OK, did you try install grub from a linux rescue disk (other than the debian cd)?
install-grub SOMEDRIVE

Yes, I used a knoppix live disk. Is that bad? I'll try to find the debian cd and install grub from that if you think that will help. I'm not sure I can find the exact same disk, will it make a differens if I use a slighly diffrent version off the debian install disk?

Back