HDD problem

Han Solo

So I really don't know if anyone can help but I'll tell you the intricate story. I was running Vista Ultimate within a partitoned Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 750 GB HDD, 100GB for the C drive and the rest at 650GB for mostly multimedia. For some time I noticed Win Update was trying to load 2 important updates and it couldn't do it. So ignored it and when I turned my computer on I had DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER displayed on the bottom of my screen. So I couldn't get to my OS. Searching through many forums I stumpled on the fact that said HDD has firmware issue and there is method to fixing it. I am now in the proccess of getting the neccessary tools to fix it. When the computer was working this drive was a master and I had a slave drive that worked along with it (I guess you can say). This slave drive was a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB that I now have in my computer with a small Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 160GB HDD that is now acting as the C drive. The OS is working well but I can't get access to the Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 160GB HDD. In other words the Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 160GB HDD shows up in BIOS but Disk Management displays it as Disk 1 Dynamic Foreign. I have conducted a SeaTools Dos Diagnostic on the 7200.10 and all tests were passed.

What I plan to do is perform the HDD recovery and perhaps with that I'll be able to recover both 7200.11 and 7200.10 HDDs together. In the meantime I was wondering if I can access the 7200.10 with easybcd or by some other method. I was wondering if it is possible to somehow reactivate the 7200.10 by creating some kind of mbr into it or something. I consider myself a novice when it comes to computers, so I what write here may seem uneducated. Sorry if this is a long message but I thought I should be as thorough as possible.

Last edited:
Try booting up from your Windows Vista CD, and go to Repair My Computer | Command Prompt.. Run "chkdsk /r" on all your drives.

I had HDD problems once, it ended up being a poor quality power supply problem, same thing was happening to me, I replaced hdd and same thing. Replaced PSU and now I am still running that "bad hdd" over a year later with no problems. It was also failing smart and diagnostics.

Thanks.

Back