Help to install Easy BCD

Wainui

Hi all,
I am trying to install Easy BCD 2.1.2 on a Windows XP machine but not having very much success.
I get get this error message :

"Unable to find a version of the runtime of this application"

Can anyone please help.
Thank you.

Thanks Chief,

I have a dual boot system with Windows 8 RP and Windows XP and I want to remove Windows 8 RP from both the computer and the Boot Menu.

How do I do it with Easy BCD ?

Last edited:
Windows 8 doesn't come with the correct level of .NET pre-installed like Vista and 7 do.
You'll need to select .NET 2.0 SP1 (or 3.5 iirc - Guru please correct if wrong) from the options in W8 Windows Update to be able to run EasyBCD.
Attach a screenshot of Disk Management from W8 side (the sticky will advise how, if needed), so we can see what you need to do to remove W8.

Thanks Chief,

I have a dual boot system with Windows 8 RP and Windows XP and I want to remove Windows 8 RP from both the computer and the Boot Menu.

How do I do it with Easy BCD ?

Boot into Windows XP and go into MSConfig. There you can fix the boot.ini information to remove the Windows 8 entry and boot directly to XP. XP does not support the BCD. To use EasyBCD to do this would mean you would still have a selection menu.

Thank you Terry60 & Thank you Mak 2.0
Here is what I have done. I found EasyBCD does work in Windows 8 RP so I changed the boot order and made Windows XP the default O/S to boot first.
The Boot Menu still pops up but Windows XP is highlighted and boots automatically if I do not make a selection.
I am quite happy with this for now. I may format the HDD later on and keep Windows XP.
Thanks again for your help.:happy:

Back