How do you use EasyBCD if you can't boot to Windows?

WSky

Hi I am unable to boot to windows however I have a live version of linux on a flash drive. How do I repair the mbr and enable the System Reserved 102mb partition to be bootable? Also all partitions are "healthy" including the Recovery Partition.

Last edited:
> How do you use EasyBCD if you can't boot into Windows.

Short answer: you can't. That's why we ended up making our bootable repair CDs.

I'm not sure about your exact partition layout, but the System Reserved sounds like EFI - it shouldn't be bootable.

> How do you use EasyBCD if you can't boot into Windows.

Short answer: you can't. That's why we ended up making our bootable repair CDs.

I'm not sure about your exact partition layout, but the System Reserved sounds like EFI - it shouldn't be bootable.
Hmm on this pc I am using now it is indicating that the System Reserved is "bootable" according to Disk Utility in the live linux. Maybe that translates to "active." I successfully made the System Reserved partition active via the command line http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/71432-partition-mark-active.html?ltr=P but I had reformatted it from Linux Disk Utility and copied in a generic bcd and boot ini from this netbook running Win 7 starter, XP and wubi ubuntu. I was able to get as far as the selection screen which is progress since System Reserved booted. I thought windows 7 boots from the System Reserved onto the main partition where all the files are installed. That's according to Terry on this page https://neosmart.net/forums/threads...nstall-xp-with-a-wubi-ubunt.10121/#post-83805
Annoyingly, that's standard for W7/8 to install its boot files into a small "System Reserved" labelled partition, and that's the way most pre-installed systems come, and the way that W7/8 will install itself if you, the self-builder, allow setup to allocate its own space.
There is also the Recovery partition. I am using the windows 7 repair cd now although it doesn't have the complete system. I ran into a new and lovely problem. I can't F9 into the recovery partition anymore. I figure I have to repair the MBR? How do I do so inorder to install windows from the f9 recovery partition?

Last edited:
Back