How to Dual Boot Windows 10 on SSD and Windows 10 on HDD

bbrener

I have a Dell PC with windows on a SATA HDD. I installed an SSD and cloned it with Easeus Todo Backup (both drives are GPT). This clone was successful and I booted from the SSD with no problems. So Easeus converts the BCD to a different disk UID. (Easeus Partition wizard does not!!)
However, I can no longer boot from the HDD. If I try, it says BOOT DEVICE NOT FOUND.
I wanted to be able to Dual Boot the 2 windows systems. How do I do that and make both the SSD and the HDD bootable? I added an entry to EasyBCD but it did not work. I assume that the bootloader and partitions no longer point at the HDD but my knowledge is scanty.
EasyBCD has a BCD repair option to either reset the BCD or Recreate/Repair the BCD. Before I used Easeus Todo Backup I struggled to get the SSD to boot using Acronis and other products so now that it works I am reluctant to experiment and potentially mess it up again.
Will either reset or repair do what I want? What other options are there.
BTW, when EasyBCD starts it says that some dual boot functions are disabled due to the EFI Boot but doesn't say which functions!
Thanks
Brian

Last edited:
Can you post the contents of EasyBCD "view settings" (detailed mode) showing the entries of the two OSs including the one that doesn't work.
Also a screenshot of your Disk Management from the working OS which includes the old HDD.

Terry, thanks for replying. You helped me a few years back with a Windows 7 issue. Your support appreciated.
However, my problem seems to be solved. I deleted the HDD entry in EasyBCD, rebooted and then added it back so I could get your diagnostics properly. This time, all works fine just as it should.
Much obliged :smile:
Brian

Story of my life.
As an IT support pro on call (45 years ago, I can hardly believe myself !), when woken at 3am, my questions to the caller to describe the problem precisely, while my brain struggled back to full consiousness, would almost invariably cause the caller to solve the problem themselves, without me needing to do any more. (except log 3 hrs double time on-call allowance for the sleep disturbance.)
Glad everything's OK.

Back