HP, Compaq User - EasyBCD, Vista Recovery Disk

KermitC

Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

I unfortunately use a Compaq. I can't boot into Vista normally, but I can get into Vista by changing by "Boot First Device". I saw the link from above when I realized I cannot access the repair centre. I downloaded the file onto a CD.

Still I cannot get into the repair centre. I boot the CD in and restarted, but it takes me to the stupid safe-mode screen. I can't start in safe mode, it just restarts in a loop.

Then I downloaded EasyBCD since I can boot into Vista. I did the diagnostics. Again, I can't boot up normally.

What more can I do? I don't think I can change my BIOS to boot from CD/DVD. I hit "F10" at the Compaq screen and changed the first boot device to "CD/DVD Group". It is still not booting from my CD/DVD. Aargh! So frustrating!

Last edited:
Vista Recovery Disk not Responding

I've been reading this forum since my laptop crashed last week. Hoping that the last chance I have is creating a recovery disk. Here's a problem with my COMPAQ PRESARIO:

OS is Vista Premium, 32-bit. The desktop is not loading already, nothing you can access. All you can press is the F8 Options, BUT even the options (e.g. REPAIR COMPUTER, SAFE MODE etc.) are not loading. Pressing F11 to perform full system recovery, is not loading anything, just the BLUE SCREEN and a CURSOR.

I found this post and thought that it might solve my problem, but when I burn the recovery disk I downloaded with this filename: Vista_Recovery_Disc.iso (120Mb)

I booted my laptop in my CD ROM with the recovery disk. A splash screen is displaying, letting you choose the LANGUAGE. By clicking the NEXT BUTTON, INSTALL (with an arrow) appears and below is REPAIR MY COMPUTER. I did BOTH, because I tried doing the REPAIR MY COMPUTER first and left it from 12AM til 9AM, It never was finished. I checked the LIGHT if it's still reading, it does not read already. So, I restarted and do the INSTALL but still it's just an HOUR GLASS that keeps on hanging and not reading the disk....

PLEASE, hope you can help me with this. I'm sooo devastated and all I want is to do Full System Recovery.

Any advice?

Hi sircheel, welcome to NST.
You can't select "install" from the recovery disks hosted on this site.
They're not full Vista DVDs, they contain no system files to install. They'll just let you enter the Vista recovery environment, to do a startup repair, or a system restore to a previous restore point on a system that won't boot.
You must select "repair my computer" then "repair startup" as described here in the wiki.
http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vista+Bootloader+from+the+DVD
If you select "repair" and it doesn't find a system for you to select, then you've got bigger problems with your HDD than just a damaged boot, and if your OEM's "restore to factory default" can't be accessed either, the HDD might be damaged to the extent that you need to reformat the HDD and reinstall from removable media.
If your OEM didn't give you any, but relies on a partition you can no longer access, contact them and ask for a copy of the media on DVD.
If this is a desktop where you can access the internals easily, make sure that your HDD leads are securely attached by unplugging/replugging a few times to clean them up before trying to boot.
If you have other HDDs attached too, try disconnecting them temporarily before you attempt the repair. (a mixture of SATA and IDE can sometimes cause similar symptoms of unreachable systems when the boot is damaged)

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick prompt.

I did actually read this: Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

I also followed the steps. First was Select "Repair your computer" to continue. After the first step, this appears on the screen:

dsc00096bz1.jpg

By clicking the NEXT button, the SYSTEM RECOVERY OPTIONS menu will appear.
Clicking the following give me this:

1. System Restore: (Restore Windows to an earlier point in time)
"The disk C: has errors: Windows has detected file system corruption on C:\. You must check the disk for errors before it can be restored."
dsc00101fb6.jpg

2. Windows Complete PC Restore
" No valid backup locations could be found. Windows cannot find a backup on the hardisks or DVDs on the computer. Attach the correct hard disk or insert the last backup DVD and then start the restore process again."
dsc00102pm2.jpg

3. Command Prompt (I thought of manually repairing the vista bootloader)

x:\sources>bootrec.exe /fixmbr
The operation completed successfully.

x:\sources>e:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force
'e:\boot\bootsect.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

What should I do now? I'm really hopeless.... I'm relying on this, hope you can help me....

Addendum:

I booted my laptop in my CD ROM with the recovery disk. A splash screen is displaying, letting you choose the LANGUAGE. By clicking the NEXT BUTTON, INSTALL (with an arrow) appears and below is REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER. I did BOTH, because I tried doing the REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER first (START UP REPAIR) and left it from 12AM til 9AM, It never was finished. I checked the LIGHT if it's still reading, it does not read already. So, I restarted and do the INSTALL but still it's just an HOUR GLASS that keeps on hanging and not reading the disk....

It took me 9hrs. to do this....but it seems like it's not reading/progressing. It NEVER restarted, and its just there pretending to repair nothing.

dsc00104dv1.jpg

HELP.... I'm....:x:O:x

Last edited:
As it says, there's some corruption on your drive C:

Run this from the command prompt:
Code:
chkdsk /f C:

I tried the code you gave me but it gives me nothing. It's just a blinking cursor on the screen. It takes too long and just displays nothing at all...

dsc00107mn4.jpg

What's the best thing I can do? I'm really frustrated on what is happening to my laptop.... I think I have the WORST techie problem ever. I thought I just need to do the full system recovery but its giving me more twist...

Please, hope you can address your insights or solutions about this.... :x

Addendum:

If my C: is corrupted, what should I do? Is there a way for me to fix it and use the system recovery options?
Can I still perform full system recovery?

Last edited:
You can perform Full System Recovery, but nothing else.

chkdsk /f takes a long time (though it should show a progressbar while it works).

But Full System Recovery using Vista recovery does not work. I guess my only chance is getting the Compaq Presario recovery discs....

Still hoping if anyone can help me with this or if someone has the model/brand like my laptop that can share his recovery discs, hope i can get a copy.... *sigh*
COMPAQ PRESARIO B1230TU (OS: Vista Premium-32bit)

Performing chkdsk /f does not display any progess bar... *sigh*

sircheel, in your long post with all the pictures, you show failures for restore and recovery options, but you don't mention "repair startup".
Did you try it ?
Vista seems to be designed only to fix one thing at a time via this route, so you'll probably need to boot and select this option 2 or 3 times, before it eventually gets a full working boot. (It does warn you that you might need to do this several times).

The full Complete PC Backup Option well not work, as the iso image was created from a pre-SP1 disc. Many users who adopted Vista early complained of not being able to use thier Vista's dvd to recover thier computer from a Complete PC Backup image. I myself found it not very -reliable and decided to switch to an alternitive. Assuming that it would normally work though, you would have needed to make the image of the PC before hand under Windows Vista Business or Ultimate. The home versions of Vista only allow you to make backups on a files and folders basis.

So basically you'll need to find the key combination for booting from the recovery partition. If that does't work, then you'll need to obtain installation media from your OEM (probably for a small price).

Hi!
@Terry60: I actually did that which took me 9hrs. and nothing happened. It didn't reboot or anything,just keeps on scanning.

@kairozamorro: The x86 vista recovery I downloaded here is actually working, but the problem is my laptop's hdd and os.

Anyways, thanks for all the inputs as well as with the vista recovery that you've provided. Kudos! :smile:

A friend of mine solved the problem already by deleting then resetting the partition accessing it using ubuntu. Anyone shares the same problem with me I think this will help. =)

Thanks to this genius community. Cheers!

Facing same issue as Sircheel.

I am facing exacty same issue with my HP Dv6000 laptop. I tried everything, repair ran for whole night without any result and same error is coming while restore. I would really appreciate if you can tell me the solution. I am fighting too hard for this. Please reply me back if you have any possible solution.

Back