I Think My CD Burner Just Killed My Computer.

toxic chicken

Distinguished Member
i was trying to burn an iso on my old computer (pentium 3 1ghz, 256mb ram, win2k) with deepburner and it just froze. so i shut it down, and when i pressed the power button the light wouldn't start. i left it unplugged for a couple minutes, then tried again and it wouldn't start. it doesn't even beep or anything, but the network card still gets power.

i think it's probably the power supply, what do you think?

Yeah, but how it happend?! It's inpossible that software killed the power supply is it?! Its got to be because it's to old right?:tongueout:

The most prob answer was when your machine crashed,

You killed the power, you could have created a short that burnt out the +/- 5v Motherboard Line, or Shorted it out and it is providing enough power for the PCI bus but not enough to start the motherboard,

the easy whay to know it to remove the Motherboard ATX power line, and place a paper clip between the the Gree and black pins (Pins 3 and 4) Make sure it is turned off when you do this,
then DON@T TOUCH ANYTHING, and turn it on, see if the power supply turns on, if not, the power suppy has a short or is nackered.

This is a very dangerous procedure, If you touch the paper clip you can get a huge shock, the current is quite alot, if you touch the casing and theres a short you can end up shocking your self.

This is just a guide, and a last resort to check if the power suppy is working.

the two i found didn't have one of the plugs i needed.

so, which green and black wires would these be?

1.jpg

2.jpg

Put the first image so that the openings face you, and the clip is on the top.
The 3rd and 4th pin from the left are pins 3 and 4.

Oh, and probably your PS has been sick for a while, and getting old. Burning a CD or DVD at high speeds is an enormous strain, and probably was the last straw for a dying PS. Good luck!

it's dead.

It's a good thing PS units are so cheap, you can get a decent 200W for under 10 bucks nowadays.

in the uk you can buy a 600w for £15 Inc postage!

And, ZOMG, that second pic, HOW OLD is your PSU?

XcOM said:

ZOMG, where have you been? This thread's been here for a week!

:laugh: :crazy:

XcOM said:

its from a...*goes in other room to look*...dell dimension xps b1000r special edition.
Computer Guru said:
XcOM said:

ZOMG, where have you been? This thread's been here for a week!

:laugh: :crazy:

my mom decided to go to the ocean the night before we went. that's the only place she ever wants to go. :tongueout:

Back