IE security zone changes

saphire 199

Distinguished Member
ok, here's one that I have never seen before - One day after web browsing I started getting security messages from internet security about PC related pgms. For example, a warning would come up saying my internet security settings would not allow a file (etc) to open. This included things like some logitech mouse exe's, and others. Upon looking at my Internet options, security tab, I now have a "My Computer" icon as a 5th zone. This only shows up in the control panel Internet Options, not the IE browser tools. I have tried to edit the registry flag (as covered in microsoft KB articles), but no go. Ran anti-virus scan, Malware bytes scan, and even hijack this and I cannot find out what is causing this or how to get rid of it. I have checked out other computers running Win 7 and the registry entry for zone "0" under security is WAY shorter then mine, leaving me to believe that something sneaked onboard and changed things, but I have no idea where to start as far as fixing. Any ideas?

saphire199

I now have a "My Computer" icon as a 5th zone ...
I have checked out other computers running Win 7 and the registry entry for zone "0" under security is WAY shorter then mine ...
Not being afraid of deleting suspicious stuff, I would likely delete that entry and reboot and then go reset IE ... but I do not have any specific experience with that particular kind of issue.

Not being afraid of deleting suspicious stuff, I would likely delete that entry and reboot and then go reset IE ... but I do not have any specific experience with that particular kind of issue.

Thank you for your help in any case. Just to resolve this thread, I ended up having to restore to an earlier time which did revert everything.

Back