IE8 slow? Maybe this tweak will help......

Ex_Brit

Staff member
actxprxy.dll is one of the core libraries for Internet Explorer (along with a few others such as Urlmon.dll and Mshtml.dll). If it’s not properly registered, IE won’t work at all. And re-registering it should never be necessary except in extreme circumstances.

Heres how to register it in WINDOWS 7 & VISTA:
1. Type cmd in the Start menu Search box.
2. Right-click the Cmd shortcut that appears at the top of the search results list,
3. Choose Run As Administrator.
4. In the Command Prompt window, enter this text and press Enter:
regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
5. Restart your computer.

In XP:
1. Click Start, then click Run.
2. In the Run dialog box, type cmd and press Enter
3. In the Command Prompt window, enter this text and press Enter:
regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
4. Restart your computer.

It would be interesting to see if this tweak speeds things up for you.

source: http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=2443

Peter, I'm a bit lost... You say that it won't work without it, so doesn't that mean that so long as you have internet that this module is already correctly registered?

It should already be registered OK but sometimes re-registering it speeds up IE8. That's what I read at that link, I'm only repeating it.

Yeah i saw this myself. But then i saw this as well:

Sorry, Virginia, but there is no IE performance 'fix' - SuperSite Blog

Fortunately, you don't have to take my word for it, as there are far more technical people out there than I, one of whom, my Windows 7 Secrets co-author Rafael Rivera, has the chops needed to tell the difference between wishful thinking and empirical fact.

So what is actxprxy.dll? Well, as Ed pointed out, the library is pretty obscure and has almost zero documentation. The fact it came from back in Internet Explorer 3/Office 97 days doesn’t help either. From what I’ve been able to gather via method of poking, actxproxy.dll is a proxy for software to communicate with out-of-process ActiveX/COM objects.

… and regsvr32? Regsvr32 is a very simple tool that simply loads a binary and calls its DllRegisterServer, DllUnregisterServer, or DllInstall function, depending on the switch you pass it.

I sat down and spent some time disassembling actxprxy.dll… and to no surprise the DllRegisterServer function simply calls NdrDllRegisterProxy with a bunch of interfaces to register. I also conducted a few experiments. First, I exported portions of my registry to file and tried re-registering the DLL. After re-registration, I used WinMerge to compare the two files and noticed zero (relevant) changes. Second, I tried unregistering the DLL. Internet Explorer immediately malfunctioned and ultimately ceased to work at all, indicating the library had to have already been registered.

As a result of some pretty simple testing, I’ve come to the conclusion that reports of success with this wanna-be tweak are no more reliable than the average Bigfoot sighting. That is, people see what they want to see.

End of story. Unless of course you believe there was a second shooter in Dealey Plaza.

Seems that Rafeal has trumped this one to be nothing more than just speculation.

Thanks Peter :smile:

Don't worry about it. We all do it sometimes when we think we've found something useful without testing it for ourselves.

I saw it myself and thought about it to be a great idea to post. Till i read that. Hey at least you were sharing information. Even if it was proven false. :wink:

Nice, I was noticing some slowdown with new tabs since installing IE8. I don't have any add-ons though other than flash and site advisor so I can't go disabling those.

Back